New Chevys at Altec

Red Horse

Studied a 6500 4x4 up close. While the front suspension is an acceptable modern parabolic taper-leaf design (and long in length), the rear suspension is a cheap looking short multi-leaf with narrow leafs that explains complaints about poor ride (slapping over expansion joints). The frame doesn't impress me either.

I see some of the Navistar dealers, who in the end will sell the most, have "finally" received a few units.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Studied a 6500 4x4 up close. While the front suspension is an acceptable modern parabolic taper-leaf design (and long in length), the rear suspension is a cheap looking short multi-leaf with narrow leafs that explains complaints about poor ride (slapping over expansion joints). The frame doesn't impress me either.

I see some of the Navistar dealers, who in the end will sell the most, have "finally" received a few units.

KS- Internationals are even uglier than Chevys IMO but agree they should be the big winner in this deal.  Local International/Ford Medium store has some in stock too.  That dealership by the way was an original Ford Heavy Truck store opened under the dealer development program I believe it was called.  The family that owned it in recent years just sold out so it will be interesting to see how much loyalty new owner has toward Ford.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Totally agree about the rear springs, but rear air suspension is an option and it will be interesting to see how many buyers go for it.  One big advantage that option will buy them is ambulance business.  Around here most all the squads are Ram 5500's, and they are all upfitted with Kelderman air ride rear suspension.  That can't be cheap, but it's necessary in that application.  Frame on the new GM/NAV's looks O.K. to 26.000#'s GVW me, but not as good as the M2's (I consider to be the best now).  Better than either the Ford or Ram class 4/5's though.