Converting To 12v From 24v

Good question, Rick...I have a customer doing the same thing here...I will be curious to see the answer! I can't find anything to match up...maybe it needs to be hand made! :wacko:

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Good question, Rick...I have a customer doing the same thing here...I will be curious to see the answer!  I can't find anything to match up...maybe it needs to be hand made!  :wacko:

:mack1: I once solved that problem by taking a newer bracket and slotting the holes that bolt to the block then you can slide it forward or back to line the belts up.

I put a 100 amp alternator on my 673. I used the original mount bracket and made a pipe spacer to locate the alt. in perfect position for the belt. Lots of miles on it with never an issue.

I guess it depends on the alternator that you use? I'm not sure what mine is? I can get a picture and post it to show how mine is.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

if you could post a pic that would great. thanks, rjh.

I put a 100 amp alternator on my 673.  I used the original mount bracket and made a pipe spacer to locate the alt. in perfect position for the belt.  Lots of miles on it with never an issue.

I guess it depends on the alternator that you use?  I'm not sure what mine is?  I can get a picture and post it to show how mine is.

i think i have found a solution to the problem. im going to use a 22SI alternator with a 302GC2306P2 pulley and the original mounting bracket part number is 3MJ368 and 2 belts part number 88GB439P642. i will have to fab 2 small round spacers for the alternator to secure it snug to the bracket. ill post some pics when i have it all done. hopefully in a couple of days. :thumb:

could anyone supply some part numbers for the pulley and the mounting bracket when using new style alternator on a end673 b61s. all the brackets that i have tried to use would push the pulley to far forward. thanks. rjh.

Rick, sounds like my set up exactly. Nothing cut or modified. Simply slip alt onto mount, slip on spacer to take up space and bolt it on. My alt. came with double pulley, so I used stock belts. Worked slick'r than snot LOL!!

The only thing I had to "make work" was the adjuster arm. I think I had to weld an extension on it to make it reach far enough. It's been 4 yrs since I did this....so it's a bit hazy in memory! Ain't looked under the hood enough to recall either(good thing! ). I can get a picture if you still like one?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

i have posted a pic of the setup in another topic area. i used a 4MJ336 adjusting arm bracket because i could not get any adjustment out of the original(too short) dont laugh at my bolt. its the only thing i had at time to keep the alternator sturdy. i didnt have a 10" long bolt last night.

Rick, sounds like my set up exactly.  Nothing cut or modified.  Simply slip alt onto mount, slip on spacer to take up space and bolt it on.  My alt. came with double pulley, so I used stock belts.  Worked slick'r than snot LOL!!

The only thing I had to "make work" was the adjuster arm.  I think I had to weld an extension on it to make it reach far enough.  It's been 4 yrs since I did this....so it's a bit hazy in memory!  Ain't looked under the hood enough to recall either(good thing! ).  I can get a picture if you still like one?

• 4 years later...

could anyone supply some part numbers for the pulley and the mounting bracket when using new style alternator on a end673 b61s. all the brackets that i have tried to use would push the pulley to far forward. thanks. rjh.

Try speedway.com they offer a small selection of pulleys for the gen to alt change over!

Barry,

I used a standard alternator bracket from an early 80's ETZ engine with almost no modification to bolt a new Leece-Neville alternator on an NA-711, which should be the same as a 673. Worked like a charm, and it's a standard Mack part.

If I can get at it, I can get the part # for you, if interested.

Paul Van Scott