2 cycle oil in fuel

ws721

Question

I was talking to a Gentlemen the other day who said he runs 2  cycle oil in his fuel for his old 3406A. Has  anybody ever tried this?  He claims it will keep the alleregy  from forming in the fuel

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

Better yet you all need to build trucks you gotta be smarter than the guys that built them cause I ain't never seen where is ok to use anything other than real fuel conditioners and such because diesel fuel has certain Cetane and all your home brews don't, but yo after 42 years in trucking world maybe I could learn something new,  nope, gonna stick with what's supposed to go in their.

• Like 2

I know this is an old thread but I am new here so.......I have been using 2 stroke in diesels for years. In fact, when I change fuel filter, I fill the new one with 2 stroke oil from a new, unopened bottle to ensure no contamination. The engine will smoke and run a bit rough for a couple minutes but no harm done. I don't like ATF because it's high in detergents and i fear scrubbing out the injectors in newer engines. No harm in older engines though IMO. Are is a video that y'all may find interesting. 

1 hour ago, Licensed to kill said:

I know this is an old thread but I am new here so.......I have been using 2 stroke in diesels for years. In fact, when I change fuel filter, I fill the new one with 2 stroke oil from a new, unopened bottle to ensure no contamination. The engine will smoke and run a bit rough for a couple minutes but no harm done. I don't like ATF because it's high in detergents and i fear scrubbing out the injectors in newer engines. No harm in older engines though IMO. Are is a video that y'all may find interesting. 

Before I started using Opti Lube, I did actually use 2-stroke oil in the old R600.  It did show a noticeable improvement in lubricity in the study I have referenced before.  But, the Opti does more than just that.  A lot of the available additives didn't do much for lubricity, and some stuff actually made it worse.

I guess it depends on what you are asking from an additive: anti-gel, lubricity, cetane booster, water separator, etc.  I mean, if somebody gets what they want by putting a dead possum in the tank, go for it!  I don't judge!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

7 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Before I started using Opti Lube, I did actually use 2-stroke oil in the old R600.  It did show a noticeable improvement in lubricity in the study I have referenced before.  But, the Opti does more than just that.  A lot of the available additives didn't do much for lubricity, and some stuff actually made it worse.

I guess it depends on what you are asking from an additive: anti-gel, lubricity, cetane booster, water separator, etc.  I mean, if somebody gets what they want by putting a dead possum in the tank, go for it!  I don't judge!

For me, I am only interested in lubricity. Never heard of "opti-lube" before. I'll have to check that out. Thanks.