Timing advance

JoeH

I know you set injection timing to whatever the engine tag says, usually 18* or so at idle. I assume it advances as rpms increase. How many degrees advance is typical for a diesel? Specifically thinking about etech engines.

Playing with some toy robot programmable microcontroller. Curious if it could handle a diesel engine.

On the VMAC 1 engines , they had a 10 degree econovavce which was later bumped to 20 degrees and was carried over to the VMAC 2 engines. The fuel pump was static  timed to 5-8 degrees (depending on emissions year) then the econovance would advance or retard the timing as needed. On the ETECH engines, I never found any data on timing 

So on the econovance E7 the injection advance runs from 5* to 28*, depending on emissions and specific engine characteristics. 

How exactly are the vmac1&2 injections done? Are they PLN with the econovance that acts like a points&condensor spark advancer? Anything electronic about the pump and injectors other than the econovance?