Mack cv bad fuel pump

R.E.D

Hello guys.im beginning to suspect that my fuel pump is bad.last two days truck has had no power whatsoever.i changed fuel filters an hour ago thinking it may have been a bad fuel contamination.when I removed the filter that is attached to pump I was surprised to see a good amount of metal shavings.the driver side filter did not seem to have any shavings.please advice

Some union boy got upset that you were working so he dumped metal shavings in your fuel. 

Kidding, but it wouldn't be the first time. My cousin got metal shavings in the engine oil of all his equipment on a job once.  Courtesy of union pricks. And they wonder why the rest of us don't like them, and want nothing to do with them.

16 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Some union boy got upset that you were working so he dumped metal shavings in your fuel. 

Kidding, but it wouldn't be the first time. My cousin got metal shavings in the engine oil of all his equipment on a job once.  Courtesy of union pricks. And they wonder why the rest of us don't like them, and want nothing to do with them.

My thought too, but not kidding. Those systems don’t make shavings, they make microns of free agent debris. If the filings are in the secondary filter they would have to have come out of the fuel transfer section however. 

signed,

Union Prick 😋

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Haha 1

2CD5D06E-0F3F-4B92-8F00-76B2B4B8BC51.thumb.jpeg.2f57e7c21b1f8d9bf6cc6e89b80e30e1.jpeg

This is my AI book. Pipe a 1/4” airline  X 1/8”NPT into the port closest to my thumb (but at front of engine ) with a 0-100 gauge. It says supply and return, but you know that doesn’t matter since they discontinued the center oring on the EUP. Either port works. They run a drill through the entire length of block and cap both drilling’s on each end with 4 Allen pipe plug. 

6 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

2CD5D06E-0F3F-4B92-8F00-76B2B4B8BC51.thumb.jpeg.2f57e7c21b1f8d9bf6cc6e89b80e30e1.jpeg

This is my AI book. Pipe a 1/4” airline  X 1/8”NPT into the port closest to my thumb (but at front of engine ) with a 0-100 gauge. It says supply and return, but you know that doesn’t matter since they discontinued the center oring on the EUP. Either port works. They run a drill through the entire length of block and cap both drilling’s on each end with 4 Allen pipe plug. 

Thanks.I will do that per mack service bulletin SB-224-004 .which you provided in a previous thread.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Not to many unions in Texas I believe , but I have parked truck lately where I should not have.

At first I thought that it could be the threaded tube in the filter mounting (see picture below) since in that truck it sometimes unscrews from pump and stays with filter.but threads seemed fine and would not account for the amount of shavings I saw.

Screenshot_20190606-201629__01__01.jpg

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, R.E.D said:

Thanks.I will do that per mack service bulletin SB-224-004 .which you provided in a previous thread.

Forget i’m Preaching to the CV choir. 😁

Anything’s possible. Your running ultra low sulfur diesel in a truck built before/or around when “dry” fuel was introduced. No telling to what degree they engineered it using new lubricity standards for post 06’ equipment? 

Be curious to see what you find......

So I'm guessing it's your secondary filter that was loaded up?  Check your fuel tank, see what is inside it. Might have to drain it to get a better idea.

Looking at the flow chart if the secondary filter got loaded from something failing the supply pump is the only reasonable culprit, unless fuel lines go into the block after primary and before secondary filter, which would be kinda dumb.

With new filters does the truck have it's power back? Maybe the metal came with the filter.... Hate to throw it out the as an idea but........ Anything's possible?

6 hours ago, JoeH said:

So I'm guessing it's your secondary filter that was loaded up?  Check your fuel tank, see what is inside it. Might have to drain it to get a better idea.

Looking at the flow chart if the secondary filter got loaded from something failing the supply pump is the only reasonable culprit, unless fuel lines go into the block after primary and before secondary filter, which would be kinda dumb.

With new filters does the truck have it's power back? Maybe the metal came with the filter.... Hate to throw it out the as an idea but........ Anything's possible?

Tank looked good and the primary filter did not have any shavings.

13 hours ago, JoeH said:

Tank looked good and the primary filter did not have any shavings.

I'm almost convinced that the pump is the culprit.removed hand primer pump and the fuel was glittery like if the shavings where glistening in the sun.i then removed the plug in front of engine where the pressure tester is used and the fuel is clean.makes me think that for now the debris is not getting past the secondary filter.

Mack wants 800 plus for new pump.i have seen some aftermarket pumps like Pai.Is this a viable option or the mack brand is the way to go?please advise

1 hour ago, R.E.D said:

I'm almost convinced that the pump is the culprit.removed hand primer pump and the fuel was glittery like if the shavings where glistening in the sun.i then removed the plug in front of engine where the pressure tester is used and the fuel is clean.makes me think that for now the debris is not getting past the secondary filter.

Mack wants 800 plus for new pump.i have seen some aftermarket pumps like Pai.Is this a viable option or the mack brand is the way to go?please advise

I’ve had no issues with PAI. Much of what they sell is simply Mack parts re-bagged.

On the negative.....

PAI is poorly, maybe better to say “loosely”, established. Thats how they sell cheaper. You wait, you pay freight and you may (May?) have to fight hard for someone to represent your warranty issues against PAI because there is no one. The store you buy the PAI part through has no major stake in PAI. I wouldn’t want to get in a warranty battle with PAI over a major component failure. They have nothing to lose because they’re a fluid. They have no store front, no bricks and mortar. They are like a bricks and mortar parasite part industry. Everybody around here uses PAI as a side hustle and rarely have stocked a single part I need. I order my parts three weeks to a month in advance to get free shipping. If we get a coop order with other customers the dealer hits a minimum order requirement for a free shipment. You have to use their parts catalog to find your own parts so you better know what your looking for since there is no vin referencing. If your wrong guess who pays the ship back? 

A dealership has an advocate who is paid a salary to be your warranty lawyer. Some of your $120 hourly rate is going to him, like a retainer fee. A good warranty guy, who maintains relations with the district rep can do a lot of good toward getting policy adjustments made in your favor.

Thats how PAI sells cheap, but decent quality, parts.

positive.....

Its just a fuel pump, you could fix it on the side of a road, it’s probably Mack rebranded, it has a filter on both sides if it dies young so your motor and $5,000 worth of downstream Bosch parts are safe, you’ll save 30%, you know your OEM part number so using the PAI crossover is simple, if you are installing it yourself Mack might (might?)still give you a run-around for warranty...so could as well have used PAI.

6 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

I’ve had no issues with PAI. Much of what they sell is simply Mack parts re-bagged.

On the negative.....

PAI is poorly, maybe better to say “loosely”, established. Thats how they sell cheaper. You wait, you pay freight and you may (May?) have to fight hard for someone to represent your warranty issues against PAI because there is no one. The store you buy the PAI part through has no major stake in PAI. I wouldn’t want to get in a warranty battle with PAI over a major component failure. They have nothing to lose because they’re a fluid. They have no store front, no bricks and mortar. They are like a bricks and mortar parasite part industry. Everybody around here uses PAI as a side hustle and rarely have stocked a single part I need. I order my parts three weeks to a month in advance to get free shipping. If we get a coop order with other customers the dealer hits a minimum order requirement for a free shipment. You have to use their parts catalog to find your own parts so you better know what your looking for since there is no vin referencing. If your wrong guess who pays the ship back? 

A dealership has an advocate who is paid a salary to be your warranty lawyer. Some of your $120 hourly rate is going to him, like a retainer fee. A good warranty guy, who maintains relations with the district rep can do a lot of good toward getting policy adjustments made on your side.

Thats how PAI sells cheap quality parts.

positive.....

Its just a fuel pump, you could fix it on the side of a road, it’s probably Mack rebranded, it has a filter on both sides if it dies young so your motor and $5,000 worth of downstream Bosch parts are safe, you’ll save 30%, you know your OEM part number so using the PAI crossover is simple, if you are installing it yourself Mack might (might?)still give you a run-around for warranty.

Besides the lower price that Pai offers , my closest mack dealership is out of the fuel  pump I need and will take probably til mid next week to get.for 300 $ im willing to give up the warranty in order to forego the downtime from work waiting for mack to sell me a part that is severely marked up.

On 6/7/2019 at 8:34 PM, R.E.D said:

Yes it's about 300 dollars from m&d distributors.

Please give us a shout if there's anything we can help you with or if you have any questions on warranties/servicing! We provide parts for diesel engines of all size: light duty pickup trucks to oil rigs. We'll do our best to help you come up with a solution!  -  M&D Distributors, (800) 658-9333 or ecominfo@mddistributors.com.