That's a Log Handler

kscarbel2

Liehberr sure has a broad mind for inventing new mouse traps. Dig that forward protection articulating up with the bundling blade lowering to push piles. Grapple has a narrow, high, basket for stick stability. 

It wouldn’t work in snow country with one wheel hydrostatic drive. Even on concrete. In our world frozen wood would slide through the narrow jaws and you wouldn’t be unable to clean up the dropped pile. Operator could call for a swing boom operator to pick up stick mess during the day, but at night he would have to stop operations and clean it up himself with a different machine. 

The L180HL we use now has self-closing sequenced hydraulic tongs that lock the wood into the grapple upon jaw closure instead of a free-weighted chain like this Liehberr. Still lose a grapple full now and then. 

• Like 1

Seems "IF" they could power that chain, it could physically clamp on the logs once the jaws are closed.  Thus eliminating the chance of slippage.  Or, maybe a second set of smaller tongs inside the large tongs that could fold down and pinch the longs from the top.  I'm sure their engineers looked at many designs and this won out.  Maybe because it was cheaper and less chance of failure?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The bolts riding the debarker conveyor look like 8’. My guess is that grapple works well on longer saw cut bolts.

Lock screen on 15 seconds. Chain has 7 links per lamination at 1/4” thick. So 14 total, pretty heavy and they bend laterally less than your average bike chain. Can also see the bolt on lead wear edges@15. Those are slick. It use to take our guys 4-6 hours to remove and weld new lips on. Liehberr changed over to those and we can do a set it 15 minutes. Constantly digging against concrete to pick sticks so hard on them. Before you got three weeks on a set, now you go three weeks, flip them over and refasten. Added one extra week of usability. Like Liehberr does, they create something slick and realize it. One side of those bolt on lips cost $1,300. So $2,600 per month just to keep wear lips on the bucket. Plus two stud kits at $75 per. Our machinists built them for about $250 per side with man hours. 

Liehberr price gouging goes overboard sometimes. Just yesterday I ran out of Liehberr OEM fuel filters. Thought “shoot, I’ve never used a NAPA fuel filter on this engine”. I sometimes use a NAPA for first stage(primary), but never final stage(secondary). Too much $$ downstream of the final fuel filter to take chances. I’m ok if a transfer pump gets a spot of dirt, but not the high pressure system. I ordered a replacement filter from NAPA because we couldn’t wait and, hey, look at that....pulled a German made Mann Hummel out of the box. Talked to my rep and he told me “Oh yeah, Mann Hummel bought Affinia(Wix) a while back”. NAPA is vending the exact OEM Liehberr fuel filter($62.56 from dealership) for $22.00. 

5F550E55-E294-42FB-B307-4AEA835A4E4B.thumb.jpeg.ced7950195919002786622cc1318fd64.jpeg

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1