2011 Mack MP8 pushing coolant out of the overflow tank.

Hey guys, I have a 2011 Mack CXU613 with a 455 hp MP8 motor. The truck started pushing coolant out of the reservoir tank when climbing up mountains and long hills. The problem seems to be getting worse.

I did replace the coolant tank with one of Ebay some time ago, and its maybe possible that I have a higher percentage of water than coolant so that may be boiling over? I plan on draining the coolant and replacing with fresh coolant to see if that's my issue, but else might it be if it's not simply that? What are some test I can do on my own? Thanks.

That's what I'm leaning towards as well. I dont see any "steam" coming from my exhaust or any bad smell from the exhaust pipe. I have noticed my coolant temp is getting hotter, faster than usual.

Today I have any empty trailer and in 10 seconds of flooring it uphill, the temp goes 15⁰ hotter and the truck overall is running warmer than usual. Not overheating, but just hotter. The engine fan keeps coming on to.

It did cross my mind this could be simply a bad coolant water pump or thermostat?

• Like 1

Could possibly be a cracked injector cup at the body to tip area, seen that many times. Could also be a leaking egr cooler, worst case could be cracked head. I don't think a bad water pump would cause pushing coolant unless the engine overheated and cracked the head or damaged the egr cooler. 

If the upper radiator hose is hot to touch and the lower radiator hose is cold the you may have a water pump issue(vanes spinning on w/p shaft). Even if the water pump is determined to be bad its not the reason for pushing coolant. 

Well I took the egr apart at the outlet side, its dry soot inside like it should be. I'm going to buy a cheap harbor freight temp lazer to check the radiator like you suggested, all signs kinda point to something injector related I think. The truck has an appointment with the dealer for tomorrow so tomorrow evening I'll probably have some idea what's going on and how much it will hurt to fix it. Any want to buy a 2011? I'll sell you one half price. ;)

20190530_092209.jpg

1 minute ago, Keffer inc said:

I ran from Norfolk, VA to Ripley, WV twice since I got the truck back and I haven't had to add any coolant to it. I topped it off this morning after changing the filter but that's to be expected. Everything is looking good for now.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Going through the same thing with my 2015 Mack - Sending my EGR cooler to get tested tomorrow, wish I read this first!!

To confirm, you switched out the cap on the side of the coolant tank?

Thank you so much

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have mp8 engine 2012 , same issues, collant overflow , i changed the injector cup ( they are leaking) but still have same issues . Now It very low amount collant  overflowing. But could be another reason for loosing power and coolant overflow??

I have changed water pump, thermostat, air compressor, now injector cups ?? What could be next please??

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 8:04 PM, Bal said:

I have mp8 engine 2012 , same issues, collant overflow , i changed the injector cup ( they are leaking) but still have same issues . Now It very low amount collant  overflowing. But could be another reason for loosing power and coolant overflow??

I have changed water pump, thermostat, air compressor, now injector cups ?? What could be next please??

Did you find out the problem?