Mexican truck plant produces 400,000th Freightliner

kscarbel2

Truck News  /  May 27, 2019

SALTILLO, Mexico – Daimler’s Saltillo, Mexico, truck manufacturing plant celebrated its 10th anniversary recently, coinciding with the production of its 400,000th unit.

A new Cascadia rolled off the line to mark the milestone, and the company held a celebration to honor the achievement.

“We are so proud to celebrate the first 10 years of operation at Saltillo Truck Manufacturing Plant,” said Flavio Rivera, CEO of Daimler Trucks Mexico. “Our constant innovation has positioned us as a benchmark not only in Mexico, but the whole world. We are being recognized for our production and commercialization of trucks with the highest quality for the North American market.”

The plant was opened in 2009 with a $300-million investment.

Photo 5.jpg

A Volvo with a Mack logo is not a Mack.

If I ran US Inc., I would virtually require that all trucks be produced in the United States, the country market's size being easy justification. Any trucks produced in Mexico would be subject to a 25% tax.

I agree with you on Volvo and the 25% tax. But at least Volvo's are made in the US, I will give them that much. A old White Motor truck is not a Autocar because someone put a Autocar logo on it, is the same is it not about logos. My real point is all Mack (Volvo) trucks are made in the USA. Daimler, Paccar and Navistar can not say that.

1 hour ago, TS7 said:

I agree with you on Volvo and the 25% tax. But at least Volvo's are made in the US, I will give them that much. A old White Motor truck is not a Autocar because someone put a Autocar logo on it, is the same is it not about logos. My real point is all Mack (Volvo) trucks are made in the USA. Daimler, Paccar and Navistar can not say that.

The Mack-badged North American Volvo trucks are "assembled" in America.......from many imported Volvo global components.

• Like 1

Friend, I hear you. There was a thread here months ago where members photographed the "made in" labels on their Mack brand trucks.

I will say though, that Paccar, Navistar and Autocar trucks have a higher percentage of American content.

I think no brand has a high American content any more. Parts assembled in America are full of foreign parts. We are starting a road job near the Daimler Detroit plant ( old Detroit Diesel), the large amount of loaded container traffic in there tells me what Detroit engines are made of. I have little use for Daimler or Volvo for that matter. But Daimler should be building most if not all the trucks they sell in the US, in the US, they have the sales to make that happen.  

• Like 1