c10 cat engine

2000CL713

have a family member looking at getting a different truck then what i know mostly about (macks) so thought id ask here, maybe someone knows better.

its a 2004 pete 357 dump truck. C10 335hp.  Allison 6spd and was told it was a 4650p trans? not sure of that one. dual straight pips. 46 rears with 529 gears. think it has 22.5 tires. 

he is worried that the motor wont have any balls in it for the dump truck work we do. its a tri axle dump. we haul 70k here but sometimes more. alot of suger sand and mud. no hills but alot of pits are deep and pulling out of them are a bitch sometimes. we also build tall pads. we do 50/50 (on-highway/off-highway). 

not sure if this motor can be turned out with computer tuning or bigger turbo and injectors. he would like at least 425 to 450hp and about 1500-1700tq. basically something like what a E7-427 would match. 

any help would be great! 

new resized.jpg

I drove a Pete 330 6 wheeler with a Cat 3126 (later cat C7)rated at 300 HP.  It did a ok job for a 6 wheeler being used to haul light landscaping stuff but was not a strong runner at all when we loaded it down with clay to its max legal weight limit. (I think we were limited to 54,000lbs) I dont think you would be happy with a C10 (630 cubic inch) at all loaded down to 70k  . that 330 I drove had a manual trans and when ever we were in soft ground it was not happy. you also had to keep it wound up just to keep you speed up. It was like driving a old 2 stroke. Sounds like you are looking at a Class 8 truck that was speced for light weight use.  I would want a c13 at minimum for a triaxle

I drive a 2002 KW with C 10, 8LL, ten wheeler.

can max at 64k gross. Nice motor, but I think I am at its limit

Boss has a 2006 tandem with the C 13..seems a bit sluggish until you wind it up past 1500 rpm

For tri-axle use, yeah look for more

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

47 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Get your family member to watch out for an early year granite cv713. Just watch out for rust jacked frames.

I had one of those. Was very custom. $160k truck bought it brand new. Sold it like 10 or 11 years ago. Great truck. Sadly the older ones are hard to find and ones that are not completely fucked! Plus he wants to get away from mack.

new resized.jpg

That's sad. Pete's are nice highway trucks but they don't have the ground clearance Mack's have. He's gonna need to watch his steer axle fenders, the mudflaps tend to get pinched backing up, ripping the fenders off. Gotta watch the fuel tanks too.

If I were running highway paving I'd probably buy a Pete, but for site work off in the dirt I'd take a Mack all day long.

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

That's sad. Pete's are nice highway trucks but they don't have the ground clearance Mack's have. He's gonna need to watch his steer axle fenders, the mudflaps tend to get pinched backing up, ripping the fenders off. Gotta watch the fuel tanks too.

If I were running highway paving I'd probably buy a Pete, but for site work off in the dirt I'd take a Mack all day long.

that is true, hes had mack for 12 years if i recall. just not easy getting parts for them anymore. he doesnt want to deal with the stupid dealers here bc they are all no nothing no bodies which i can understand bc i have had the same problems. he just wants something diff. something more user friendly for parts. also macks here drivers dont take care of them. they see them as throw-away trucks and hes wanting to get something a driver will like and take care of since hes heading more in that direction. small dump trunk company. 2 trucks max. parts you can fine all over online or at the truck junk yards. nothing for macks here other then the dealer and they fuck up every single time sadly. i have thought about switching to at times but havent. if i had newer macks yes but hard to give up my gray motor CL's lol  

new resized.jpg

years ago all you would see are macks in my town. ones in a blue moon you would see a pete or KW but they be on-highway dumps. alot of rock work. then everything started to changed slowly when the dealers all changed over and everything went to shit. now 80% of trucks you see here are KW, very few macks. most are newer ones that are always broken down. only maybe a hand full of older gray motor macks left which include mines and few others left hanging on. 

new resized.jpg