Pushin snow...

20 hours ago, Oso2 said:

I just don't understand big plow trucks without wing plows - it's such a waste. I also don't get those tipper salt spreaders - they seem unsafe.

Maybe with todays "Steering Wheel holders"  they don't dare put wings on em?

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

21 hours ago, Oso2 said:

I just don't understand big plow trucks without wing plows - it's such a waste. I also don't get those tipper salt spreaders - they seem unsafe.

i have been a lot of places where a regular plow truck can just barely get down streets, let alone a truck with a wing plow on it. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

i am talking about a one ton pickup with 8 foot plow not fitting. 

i many areas of nu yawk, it is not uncommon to see cars and trucks with mirrors ripped off or worse because the fire trucks and garbage trucks can not fit down the street. so they make room by wiping the sides off the cars parked on both sides of the street. 

here in my town, many roads are only 14 foot wide. if someone illegally parks on the road you can not pass with anything larger than a pickup.......WITHOUT a plow on it

1 minute ago, tjc transport said:

i am talking about a one ton pickup with 8 foot plow not fitting. 

i many areas of nu yawk, it is not uncommon to see cars and trucks with mirrors ripped off or worse because the fire trucks and garbage trucks can not fit down the street. so they make room by wiping the sides off the cars parked on both sides of the street. 

here in my town, many roads are only 14 foot wide. if someone illegally parks on the road you can not pass with anything larger than a pickup.......WITHOUT a plow on it

Ouch!   That stinks.  I remember my Uncle who was on the Hartford, Ct fire Dept saying that would happen. Tire chains with a broken cross chains ripping open cars

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

On 2/14/2019 at 7:44 PM, Oso2 said:

They plow the township roads that are mostly 2 lanes with narrow shoulders and in town. Don't really need a wing. It may look like the country but the town is right behind those trees.  And he raised the body up to move the salt to the rear  in our neighborhood because we have no overhead wires. By the time he passed my house the body was down. This guy has been at it a long time, he knows the deal

Edited by Rich Reinhart
  • Like 2

Still the Greatest Name in Trucks...Bulldogs rule, The rest drool....

Member ATHS and ATCA...

On 2/15/2019 at 5:40 PM, tjc transport said:

i have been a lot of places where a regular plow truck can just barely get down streets, let alone a truck with a wing plow on it. 

Correct. A 150 year old town with narrow streets is right behind those trees 

Still the Greatest Name in Trucks...Bulldogs rule, The rest drool....

Member ATHS and ATCA...

in 2015 a low bidder on a stretch of state highway subcontracted a bunch of fresh off the boat immigrant triaxle drivers out of Newark NJ to plow rt 9 in Old Bridge.

one of the drivers went under an overpass and lifted his body to tip back to the gate spreader. 

at 30 mph. and hooked a 4 inch diameter main phone cable...

snapping 8 poles on both sides of the road.........before tipping it on it's side across the road blocking the south bound side. 

a trailer going northbound clipped the falling wires, snapping down another 4 poles up the side road...........before shutting down the northbound side of the road.....

in all the highway was closed in both directions for over 16 hours before they could get the poles up and wires high enough to let traffic pass.