Eaton 8LL in an RD...

RowdyRebel

Other day I was driving it, come up to a 4-way stop, and it wouldn't go into low range without pushing down hard and holding the range selector.  After a while, it got to the point where it would shift to low range without physically holding the selector switch down, but air is leaking unless you're pushing down hard on the switch.  Flip it to high range, and the air leak stops.  Talking to another driver, it had done that before and quit, but he didn't know how or why...just curious what would cause it (because it's rather annoying and I'd like to fix it).  They think I'm nuts, but it's my favorite truck of theirs to drive (other trucks are a pair of freightshaker T/T's and a KW straight truck...no reason the Mack WOULDN'T be my favorite!)

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I parked my truck for a while. Friend who's numbers I was running under wasn't paying me, then decided not to renew insurance I was paying for, leaving me in a bit of a bind.  Meanwhile, the bolt holes in the bell housing of my truck are wallered out and the input shaft seal has started leaking, so it won't pass inspection to lease on anywhere. Need to pull the trans, repair the threads in the bellhousing, replace the seal, fix whatever else is damaged, and put it all back together again.  Then, get my own damn numbers to run under.  Until then, I'm punching a time clock while my truck sits in the driveway waiting for me to get some money together to get it back on the road.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

This wasn't my first choice, but it's far from my last...driving feed trucks.  Couple semis, couple straight trucks, a few dually flatbed pickups, and whatever else needs to be driven.  Get into some interesting places, too...anywhere there are cows, chickens, pigs, horses, goats, or any other critters being fed, I just might get to go.

I did get some bad news...the Mack RD (my favorite truck they have) is slated for replacement in January.  Sucks, because that's the 1 truck I have no problems taking anywhere...46K camelbacks and a 20K steer, with a steerable pusher.  E7-350 is a little under-powered (compared to my E7-460P) and the 8LL is definitely short a few gears from my 2180B.  Rear gears have this thing tached out at 60-65 mph, so when I hit lo-lo, it just creeps along.  They're going to remove the feed bed before they get rid of it...half tempted to see what they'd want for it.  Move the pusher axle up in front of the drives and mount a 16' dump bed on there and go to work hauling for a road crew.  Probably pick it up cheap, because the shifter leaks air (as discussed in the OP), the roof leaks (likely the roof vent or the cab light gaskets), and the hood squeeks (bushings gone that support the hood when closed).  Other than that, though, it's a good running truck.