MP7 Rattle at idle

gry

I have a 2007 Granite Tri Dump with 465,000 miles,equipped with a MP7 405HP,recently it's developed a rattle at idle in the rear of the engine accessory drive,but just bump the throttle a tad and it goes away,I assume we'll have to pull the rear housing to determine the cause,which is a nightmare after having it out a few years ago to replace the cracked flywheel housing'is this something typical that's showing up in these Volvo want to be Mack engines.

You could have the beginnings of Idle gear failure there You might consider not running it much longer till you have checked into it more closely!

expensive shit to repair specially if it craters totally! 

Edited by fjh

It's parked till we get time to pull the engine,we've had several problems with this particular model engine over the years,did the last ones in frame,won't make that mistake again only takes 16 hours to get to the gears to inspect.No other way of inspecting the drive assembly,other than opening it up?

I believe Mack had us pulling the floor board d out , then pulling the REPTO cover off where you could see the bull gear. If your looking at the back of the engine it's the round cover on the flywheel housing to the right , above the trans , it could also be the idler gear that runs the power steering/fuel pump. You can pull the power steering pump off and check that gear as well. I don't have access to the Mack service bulletins any more or I could send it to you

51 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

I believe Mack had us pulling the floor board d out , then pulling the REPTO cover off where you could see the bull gear. If your looking at the back of the engine it's the round cover on the flywheel housing to the right , above the trans , it could also be the idler gear that runs the power steering/fuel pump. You can pull the power steering pump off and check that gear as well. I don't have access to the Mack service bulletins any more or I could send it to you

Hey Pro Did you bail ! On your job?

11 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Yes , I see the writing on the wall, it's time to get out, at least at the dealership level. Fleet maintenance is where it's at if your gonna stay in the field. 

It’s fun playing poker from the other side of the table. YOU get to be the high maintenance customer now and your thoroughly educated to dealership politics. Make sure every time the salesman for Mack shows up you put on a Peterbilt cap. Every time Peterbilt comes you switch it. 

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1