Ol' Dozer is such a good dog

RowdyRebel

They say when you have a dog at home and you have a baby, that the first time the father comes home from the hospital he should bring a swaddling blanket or a cap that they baby has worn- to give to the dog so that he can smell it. Apparently they will instinctively understand what is happening.

I will never forget the first time I came home as a father, on December 19, 2003. It was about 9 or 10 at night. I came in the front door with a bunch of stuff in my arms, and a bag that had a swaddling blanket AND a cap that Cody our oldest wore at some point during that day. Pokey could have cared less about me- he damn near shoved me over trying to get his nose into that bag to get out the blanket and the cap as if he knew what was happening. He got them both and took them to his bed on the floor and snuggled up with them and went to sleep. I brought Mamma and Cody home the day after, and he was as gentle as a lamb with the new baby.

We just put Pokey down last week. He was 15 and a half years old and had seniority on all four kids. He was a good pup.

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS