checking for boost leaks

Ezrider

nope if a intake valve is open the exhaust valve will be closed, engines that operate on boost wont have any valve overlap so every cyl will be sealed ether at the intake valve or the exhaust valves/rings, there will be some leak down but not enough to matter.

1 hour ago, Ezrider said:

nope if a intake valve is open the exhaust valve will be closed, engines that operate on boost wont have any valve overlap so every cyl will be sealed ether at the intake valve or the exhaust valves/rings, there will be some leak down but not enough to matter.

learn something new everyday!!     terry:thumb:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

I always turn the engine slow and watch the pressure gauge and when it comes up the highest then stop turning it.

iv never really noticed a difference based on what position the engine was in. if you had a cam that had valve overlap you could have a pretty big leak out the exhaust if the engine was in overlap on one cyl. typically you wont see valve overlap on a engine that is intended to run on boost though. 

i wasn't terribly concerned with actual leak down numbers when i filmed this. this was when i was trying to diagnose that chirping sound under boost. it did take a couple mins to bleed down once the air supply was turned off. still currently running that cac ill plan on replacing it probably before too long. it might be repairable too. the leak is where the cores go into the side tanks. could probably be soldered with some aluminum brazing rods.