R600 Mirrors

G'DAY, I'M A NEW AUSTRALIAN MEMBER TO BMT AND ON THE LOOKOUT FOR A SET OF MIRRORS AND ARMS FOR A RECENTLY PURCHSED 1976 R686 (WHICH NEEDS A BIT OF T L C) . DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH TYPE OF MIRRORS WERE FITTED TO THIS MODLE,THE BUBBLE BACK TYPE OR THE STRAIGHT ONES WITH THE BULLDOG?ANY INFO WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED ,AS MY KNOWLEDGE ON MACKS IS LIMITED AND HOPE TO LEARN AS I GO.

MILO

G'DAY, I'M A NEW AUSTRALIAN MEMBER TO BMT AND ON THE LOOKOUT FOR A SET OF MIRRORS AND ARMS FOR A RECENTLY PURCHSED 1976 R686 (WHICH NEEDS A BIT OF T L C) . DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH TYPE OF MIRRORS WERE FITTED TO THIS MODLE,THE BUBBLE BACK TYPE OR THE STRAIGHT ONES WITH THE BULLDOG?ANY INFO WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED ,AS MY KNOWLEDGE ON MACKS IS LIMITED AND HOPE TO LEARN AS I GO.

MILO

Hello, the ones with the bulldog are the ones you need. I got a good set out of the USA for 220 usd. there is a few around.

where in OZ are you from?

regards Grant

MILO

You need a set of Bubble Back mirrors with MACK. the bulldog came i think in the early 80s Watts Mack should be able to get the arms.

MILO

Milo,

Check in with Andy in West Oz and monty - if you want me to, just let me know and I'll ask monty and/or Andy about those bubble-back mirrors for ya!

If you want, also ask Andy about Australasian Classic Commercials - his monthly e-mag for old truck buffs like us!

Joe

:mack1: enthusiast from way back (1994)

THANKS FELLAS FOR THE REPLIES - I'M A BIT GREEN TO USIN THIS SITE!

GRANT: I LIVE ON THE DARLING DOWNS AREA OF QUEENSLAND

JOE: IF YOU COULD ASK ANDY OR MONTY ABOUT THE MIRRORS WOULD BE GREAT AND I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THE E-MAG

MILO

THANKS FELLAS FOR THE REPLIES - I'M A BIT GREEN TO USIN THIS SITE!

GRANT: I LIVE ON THE DARLING DOWNS AREA OF QUEENSLAND

JOE: IF YOU COULD ASK ANDY OR MONTY ABOUT THE MIRRORS WOULD BE GREAT AND I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THE E-MAG

MILO

Hello, no worries, am in WA.

mirror question for the others, if the bubble mirrors are correct for this truck, then how come the film Convoy was made in 1977 and it had the mirrors with the dog on it?

i would have thought the bubble mirrors would have gone out the window in 173 when the cab was lengthened?

regards Grant

I think Convoy was released in 1978? they also cobbled up the movie trucks along the course of the movie.

Regardless it was around this time (1978) that the dog mirrors became standard.

I think this was around the same time that the round fuel tanks became standard as well? My Dad had a 78' R685St and I recall him saying it was the first year that the R model came with round fuel tankes and bulldog Mirrors as standard oprions?.

Im sure we will get a guru here soon and give us the 100% right answer?!!!

Trent

Hi Milo

Welcome to the group. I think the mirrors were an option from 74 as I have a photo from the '74 Brisbane truck show in a bulldog bulletin showing a R686 with the square mirrors with the dogs. Then a new truck in a '75 bulletin with the bubble ones but with bullet type cab lights. So I think you must have been able to order a R model with different mirrors and cab lights. The cab was lengthened by 3 inches in late '75 as my r685 has the short cab and plated 6/75 It has the square mirrors and bullet lights but I can't be sure these were fitted on the truck from factory. Where on the downs are you? I'm in Toowoomba

Steve

Milo

Check this out for some mirrors on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MACK-TRUCK-...sQ5fAccessories

I have one for sale if you dont have any luck.

-moty

Thanks for the post Monty. I saw the 2 sets of mirrors from this sellar the other day. I emailed for a price on postage, and he said 'ship to usa only'. Ive since ordered a new set of r600 mirror ARMS from Gleeman truck parts in Brisbane for $332. We are cutting the rust out of the doors and need them to relocate the orginal holes and fill the ones in from the non standard mirrors. I'm guessing that either type of mirror will fit these arms?

Not sure mate, but i cant see why it wont be different, i have a spair door and the stainless and the steel look the same, should be the same.

but i do stand be correct.

youlll have to post up some picks of the old girl. :P

-Monty

Edited by monty

Hi all,

The bubble back mirrors were made for the B-Model and, as such, the really early R-600's such as the "Flintstone" - Andy, you'd know that there's a Flintstone getting around Dubbo - image is below on this reply! As you can all see here, the mirrors on this truck are the bubble back mirrors that Milo is referring to - am I right???

100_3124.jpg

Joe

Milo Mate.

Old mate has the mirros back on ebay, he either has a shit load of them or people are just bidding the price up.

-Monty

Monty

I put a bid on the ex army mirrors,and see how it goes.I hope to get some photos posted of the cab repairs soon.It'll be good to get a second opinion from you blokes in the know.

Milo

• 2 weeks later...

MILO

G'day milo, both were fitted, i think the 1/2 dog mirrors were an option, they were heated. New Macks had 1/2 dog mirrors as early as 1975, black or chrome bubble backas late as 1977. A lot of specially built trucks like drill rigs etc often still used black b/back. Thats what ive observed over the years. You can still buy new s/steel or chrome bubble backs from Mack for about $120 thats mirror head only. If you go to Gleemans you can sometimes p/u 1/2 dogs comlete with s/steel arms for $100-150 depending on condition. hope this info is of help to you, regards jeffro

Hey Milo.

good luck on the mirrors, if you dont have any luck i got one i dont need. that bloke kingofsalvage seems to have a few of the mirros on ebay so keep an eye out.

Me Iam just a tire kicker mate, with a keen eye. Poting some picks would be Mad.

-Monty

Monty,

Was winning bidder yesterday on a set of stainless steel bubble back mirrors from "kingofsalvage" $147 inc postage USD.

I also got onto a original front bumper to replace the bullbar and a mack steering wheel (to replace a non stardard one)

from a mate with a hauling business.

Milo

G'day milo, both were fitted, i think the 1/2 dog mirrors were an option, they were heated. New Macks had 1/2 dog mirrors as early as 1975, black or chrome bubble backas late as 1977. A lot of specially built trucks like drill rigs etc often still used black b/back. Thats what ive observed over the years. You can still buy new s/steel or chrome bubble backs from Mack for about $120 thats mirror head only. If you go to Gleemans you can sometimes p/u 1/2 dogs comlete with s/steel arms for $100-150 depending on condition. hope this info is of help to you, regards jeffro

Thanks Jeffro,appreciate the info.

Milo

Monty,

Was winning bidder yesterday on a set of stainless steel bubble back mirrors from "kingofsalvage" $147 inc postage USD.

I also got onto a original front bumper to replace the bullbar and a mack steering wheel (to replace a non stardard one)

from a mate with a hauling business.

Milo

Milo,

You now know ya gonna have to post some photos of the old girl with her new mirrors and bumper, don't ya???

Joe