Reaching out to a maintenance manager

I am looking at a new Mack Granite that has the Mack M drive automatic to add to my fleet. I would like to know what others that have had this think about it. 

1. Lifespan- How many miles have you gotten out of yours with out major $?

2. Cost to repair?

3. Reliability?

4. If it is just a preference in how it drives that isn't as much of a concern.  

As a component they are more expensive in its life cycle. It's a trade off for any costs it may save i.e.: tires,driver abuse, inexperienced drivers etc..

for example I install new xy shifters and harnesses every 250k miles in Eaton auto shifts. It will save you a tow. That's an additional $1700 that you would not have to put in a standard trans. 

We have seen good results from both the M-Drive (and I-Shift). We have a number of fleets running the M-Drive in both the regular and HD versions.  One fleet runs 285 tractors hauling chemical tanks, one fleet runs 140 tractors hauling glass and we have two dry van fleets just took delivery of 10 each 2018 Mack CXU613 70" sleeper tractors with the MP8-445SE package. On the dump truck front, we probably have sold over 100 dump trucks in the last 2 years all with the M-Drive HD including over 20 to Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT). I have one customer I sold 10 to last year who has had no downtime with this transmission. WE hardly keep any manual transmission trucks in the yard anymore and all our recent stock orders for both tractors and vocational trucks have been M-Drives and I-Shifts.

If you follow the SERVICE AT A GLANCE repair intervals you will see good results. Your local dealer can provide you with these service posters; We provide them with every new truck.

• Like 1

Jim Toussaint

Division Operations Manager - Worldwide Equipment Inc

Knoxville / Middlesboro / Crossville / Morristown / Asheville Highway

They are good if you are the first owner of the unit with an M drive/I shift. The warranty covers any issues you may have in a reasonable life cycle.  Unfortunately they also bring your resale value down on trade in.

Replacing or repairing this transmission is very expensive and must be done at the dealer for reprogram during reinstall of trans unit.  

Good deal if you are the original owner, not so good deal for the second owner.  I've seen lots of those pulled out and on the shop floor after about 1,000,000 kms here in Canada. 

By the way....as a tech I see more automated trannies being pulled out of trucks then we have ever had to pull manual transmissions out of trucks for internal transmission related failures. (Not including clutch failures)  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...