Last Legs for Long-Haul Trucking?

kscarbel2

Teamster Grrrl, admittedly the kids who have grown up with computers and modern technology just naturally do well with electronic engine controls and at some point will make them trouble free,but from the studies I've read, and I've read a few! The majority of reliability issues on new cars and big trucks as well involve electronics! But perhaps the youngsters could learn something from the old timers about the rapidly disappearing work ethic! 

I think there is still a strong work ethic out there. Every generation believes the following one is a bunch of slacking, no common-sense, idiots who want payment for not working. But somehow we keep making productivity improvements, increasing the GDP, and coming up with new innovations. Are there slugs? Absolutely, but there have always been a percentage of slugs.

As a small business owner friend says the real problem is any employee that is any good already has a job.

And I agree completely that we need to re-emphasize technical training. We also need to stop "degree inflation" where jobs that really don't require a degree are now requiring one for all applicants. Sorry folks, but being a fire fighter does not require a college degree, yet many places now require one as just one example. 

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Marcel,I fear for the lives of your little plants! Having been a car hauler that worked at a railhead,and received cars with parts stolen while on the rail (can you believe a driveshaft!) And a freight car repairman familiar with the condition of our rail infrastructure and the work ethic (and it's lack) at an operation where seniority determines most job classifications not skill in that trade! You're not gonna believe this,but a load of new Ford's got parked on a siding for a couple of hours and they stole half a dozen engines and trannys. I was at the scrap yard where they ended up and offered a new Lincoln 460, for a couple hundred bucks! Needless to say I got out of there quick! Says a lot about rail security and the mentality of thieves who would go to all that work and sell the results for scrap metal price!

• Like 1

Fxfymn, I consider having a college degree or two and trades skills as well (Chip Foose?) The epitome of achievement! But many quality people don't do well in an academic setting, but are masterful tradesmen (Joaquin Arnette)  to use another automotive example!

11 hours ago, BillyT said:

Marcel,I fear for the lives of your little plants! Having been a car hauler that worked at a railhead,and received cars with parts stolen while on the rail (can you believe a driveshaft!) And a freight car repairman familiar with the condition of our rail infrastructure and the work ethic (and it's lack) at an operation where seniority determines most job classifications not skill in that trade! You're not gonna believe this,but a load of new Ford's got parked on a siding for a couple of hours and they stole half a dozen engines and trannys. I was at the scrap yard where they ended up and offered a new Lincoln 460, for a couple hundred bucks! Needless to say I got out of there quick! Says a lot about rail security and the mentality of thieves who would go to all that work and sell the results for scrap metal price!

The rail is a joke! Beside my tucking gig I owned a heavy equipment dealership. We sold a Terex off road dump truck to a client in Arizona and the client decided to ship it by rail. Th Rail company lost the unit for 5 months only to find out it was sitting in a rail yard in Detroit MI.  In the mean time the customer lost his contract !