Fault codes, and no cranking

rvi

My truck will not crank over at all.  The heater grid light will light then go out as normal, but turning the key further does not start the truck, except for a relay click under the dash.   It is a 2001 Freedom XXL.

I am getting error messages as follows:

VECU

0 00629 31 127

Also

EECU failure 58

And finally

A photo of a key with the letters "AT"

There are no blink codes, as nothing is blinking. 

The truck ran perfectly when I last drove it, but I removed the batteries to properly recharge them since I was away for awhile.  The fully charged batteries were placed back in the truck, only to result in a no crank situation. 

I checked all the fuses I could find, and none are popped.

Does anyone have an idea what may be wrong?  Is the photo of the key for an immobilizer?  I searched for an explanation of the error messages, and found nothing.  Thanks!

(I posted this in another section, but this section may be more correct.   Apologies in advance)

Thanks for the reply, and I appreciate you trying to help!

By chance, does your shop still have any of the manuals?

I rechecked the codes after a hard battery reset/disconnect, and the same messages pop up.  I should add the there was a blink code, it is the picture of a key and the letters "AT" as I wrote in the first post.  I just did not consider it a blink code, but going through the gauge cluster it does read that is a blink code.  Also, the gauge cluster's self test appears to function. 

I did go through the entire owners manual as well (zero help with the codes), and the truck does seem to have vmac III.

Excellent information!  I am still reading the document in detail as time permits, but I scanned the whole thing.

Now I have confirmed what I thought AT meant, Anti Theft or the immobilizer.  It seems I need to reprogram the key with the code from the vehicle document? 

I wish I knew what "failure 58" means as I did not find any reference to 58 or a 5-8 in the document manual.

On 5/1/2017 at 4:12 PM, rvi said:

Excellent information!  I am still reading the document in detail as time permits, but I scanned the whole thing.

Now I have confirmed what I thought AT meant, Anti Theft or the immobilizer.  It seems I need to reprogram the key with the code from the vehicle document? 

I wish I knew what "failure 58" means as I did not find any reference to 58 or a 5-8 in the document manual.

Here is what an ex Renault tech told me (the Freedom is  Renault Midlum) The normal  immobilizer problem fix is, the reverse lights run off the same fuse as the immobilizer, check the fuse for the reverse lights.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

11 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Here is what an ex Renault tech told me (the Freedom is  Renault Midlum) The normal  immobilizer problem fix is, the reverse lights run off the same fuse as the immobilizer, check the fuse for the reverse lights.

You may be onto something, as when I tried to attempt the manual method to input the 4 digit anti theft immobilizer code, the anti theft light on the instrument cluster did not flash at all.  Zero response!  I will recheck the reverse light fuse, and test the plug at the anti theft unit making sure it is getting power. 

8 hours ago, Mackpro said:

I hope your getting close to getting it figured out. I have a few more manuals to send you and if I have time tomorrow, I'll send your some vehicle specific  info on your Freedom

I think I am definitely getting somewhere!  A massive thanks to Mackpro!  He sent me advice and manuals, plus one of the message codes was cracked, the

EECU Failure 58

Refers to degraded or absent information from the CAN bus line going to (or from?) the EECU.  Since the immobilizer does send data to both the EECU and the VECU, it's possible the immobilizer is not working.  Or the CAN bus line is cut somehow.  Both possibilities will be checked.

Thank you all for your help!

I'm tracking down something I will report on tomorrow hopefully.   Getting closer...

The reverse light and anti theft/immobilizer fuse checks out, unfortunately.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2002 Mack freedom MV200 truck like yours and ran into a similar issue. The Mack dealership here doesn't have the software for this model and they couldn't find what is wrong without a Medium duty service software.  They say it's made by Renault and can't be diagnosed with the new software they have as it is outdated and I have to scrap the truck. I called around a few dealerships in nearby cities and none of them have this software. 

It was running fine till yesterday and when I started this morning I had VECU FAILURE 58 IMMEDIATE STOP on the dash.  The accelerator won't work but the truck moves like 5 -10 miles an hour when in gear with no working accelerator. Other than this the truck was running solid without any issues. It would be of great help if you can update your solution here.  

If anyone else can help with this it would be highly appreciated. 

Thanks

IMG-1320.JPG

IMG-1321.JPG

IMG-1322.JPG

Edited by Samm