'59 Model B: Rear Hub 8QJ414

Keith S

Question

Found the first major part needing to be replaced: one of the rear hubs is cracked.

Two different hubs, the good one (except for a Helicoil) is casting 8QJ414. The other one is repaired or something. It's casting number is close to: 8QJ8131P1. I'm mot sure what its deal is. When removing the paint I hit some powdery residue then some soft shiny "metal". A lot of it; The "Mack" logo is barely visible. It's too hard for lead.

Anyway, I found a couple 8QJ414 on line but before buying one I thought I check here first for ideas and concerns. Anyone have insight on what to look-out for with used hubs?

8 answers to this question

49 minutes ago, Keith S said:

Found the first major part needing to be replaced: one of the rear hubs is cracked.

Two different hubs, the good one (except for a Helicoil) is casting 8QJ414. The other one is repaired or something. It's casting number is close to: 8QJ8131P1. I'm mot sure what its deal is. When removing the paint I hit some powdery residue then some soft shiny "metal". A lot of it; The "Mack" logo is barely visible. It's too hard for lead.

Anyway, I found a couple 8QJ414 on line but before buying one I thought I check here first for ideas and concerns. Anyone have insight on what to look-out for with used hubs?

The casting number usually is NOT the part number.

Can you post your truck's line sheet?

28 minutes ago, j hancock said:

The 8QJ414 casting seems to be available.  I would double check the bearing numbers to see if they are the same side to side and go that route.

You can't simply go by a casting number. That casting was machined at least 2 or 3 different ways to meet differing requirements, resulting in different Mack part number "P variations".

7 hours ago, Keith S said:

J Hancock: When you say that casting number is still available, what do you mean? I've found several salvage 8QJ414 hubs, but they're all in the northeast - shipping to FL is $250. Anyone know of a cross reference for this hub?

Seen available used as you have found.  Too bad you can't find something at a yard down in FL because the only way I would want to do it is in person with carefully looking for any cracks and to verify your bearing number works. 

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.