2012 MP8 double idler gear pinning

dickbuick

I have 6 2012 GU's that are not covered by this campaign.

First one came apart last week and I wanted to pin the other 5.

My dealer scraped there fixture to do the job and I cant find where to buy one. #s from the campaign are no longer available.

I know they are out there but where?

HELP

Yup we got a  newer Mp 7 and an 14 mp8 in the shop same deal we did an mp10 last year Also had an Mp8 fail after the pin Bandaid  job the nut broke! makes one wonder how many failures is acceptable to these people before they repair stuff properly! Kinda like the injector  Cup Fiasco !Except WAY MORE expensive!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

This was supposed to be fixed by 2012.   The failure was due to high oil temp to the gear train, This was fixed by software downloads that opened the oil valve at a lower oil temp so the timing gear bearings didnt get to hot ( All part of the "Clean Idle"  crap)  The oil filter stand  is a maze of thermostats and oil control valves.  They improved the bull gear as well.  The  failures really dropped off after 2012 but still happen , we only do 1 or 2 a year here. 

7 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

We actually have done more bull gear failures on Detroit 60 series than Macks. However at least the gears on the Detroit are in the front and not the back.  One of the downfalls of the over head cam engine . I miss the E-Tech's. LOL

ME TO !  NOT LOL!  For the most part it was fixable! MP not so much! One thing about it it will keep the younger folks busy for years to come ! :rolleyes: Bandaids and patches!

Edited by fjh

We live in a "disposable society" today.  30-40 years from now, no one will be pulling CHU's out of the weeds to restore like they do B Models now.  We have a young boy here that does all the Bull Gears, sadly he was in the middle of a major overhaul so I took the job. Im to old for this sh*t.  LOL

2 hours ago, Mackpro said:

We live in a "disposable society" today.  30-40 years from now, no one will be pulling CHU's out of the weeds to restore like they do B Models now.  We have a young boy here that does all the Bull Gears, sadly he was in the middle of a major overhaul so I took the job. Im to old for this sh*t.  LOL

We might be living in a "disposable society" but the bullgear & injecters are not suppose to be the disposal parts; fortunately I live in an area that I could get by doing a delete on the "disposable " part 

Bought a new  REMACK  MP 8 engine in early 2015 4 months  and 30,000 miles later idler gear went out, It's sad to say but it' hard to make any money with MP-8 engine,  E7 and E Tech  Engine were reliable and dependable engines.  I had been holding off about buying some  New Macks  when the plant shut down late last year, been hauling there for 54 years, with the way new trucks are it was a easy decision to sell off all of out trucks and trailers and exit the trucking business.  No Trucks, No Drivers, No Problems!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...