Walking IAA 2016, the world's largest truck show

kscarbel2

Fleet Owner  /  September 27, 2016

Every other year, global truck manufacturers gather in Hannover, Germany for a celebration of commercial vehicles now known only by its initials IAA. 

Spanning over a dozen buildings, the displays range from the smallest components to the heaviest haulers. 

Current products in bright graphics mix with flashy hi-tech concept vehicles during two days of press conferences for a global media audience followed by crowds of truck buyers and tire kickers. 

Here are just a sampling of IAA 2016's highlights.

Slide Show - http://fleetowner.com/equipment/walking-iaa-2016-worlds-largest-truck-show#slide-0-field_images-201751

1 hour ago, Red Horse said:

And No GM, Paccar, Ford, Navistar?  Guess this is a Euro show for sure-not a "World" show???

It is indeed a global show. Paccar, GM, and Ford were there, as well as Hendrickson, Cummins, Modine, CVG, jacobs and many orhers.

Saying this show is massive would be an understatement. 

None of those are "American" companies anymore- They all do as much or more business in the ROW as they do in the U.S.. And to survive in a niche market like heavy trucks, you have to market beyond the U.S.- The small American market by itself will not pay back the costs of new product development.

6 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

None of those are "American" companies anymore- They all do as much or more business in the ROW as they do in the U.S.. And to survive in a niche market like heavy trucks, you have to market beyond the U.S.- The small American market by itself will not pay back the costs of new product development.

If they are incorporated in the United States of America, they are considered to be a U.S. company.

Personally, I'm proud of the remaining U.S. companies, like Hendrickson, that have the savvy to compete successfully in the global market.

7 hours ago, Red Horse said:

thx- I based my statement on the Fleetowner coverage.  You would have thought they would have given the US companies a bit more coverage.

Bob, the media gave electric and autonomous a lot of coverage. I've no problem with that, but that was just one pillar of this massive show.

The show was extremely busy. This is a professional show where you can rub shoulders with engineers, sales people and senior management, asking questions and getting direct answers from the source.

People were thrilled with the new Scania.

Though you won't read about it yet, Eaton is working on a next generation transmission architecture to replace their current platform.

2 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Bob, the media gave electric and autonomous a lot of coverage. I've no problem with that, but that was just one pillar of this massive show.

The show was extremely busy. This is a professional show where you can rub shoulders with engineers, sales people and senior management, asking questions and getting direct answers from the source.

People were thrilled with the new Scania.

Though you won't read about it yet, Eaton is working on a next generation transmission architecture to replace their current platform.

Glad to see Eaton is a player.  Glad to hear that vs. Getrag, ZF etc.  Also your comment on Hendrickson

3 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Glad to see Eaton is a player.  Glad to hear that vs. Getrag, ZF etc.  Also your comment on Hendrickson

ZF is a global leader. There Traxon transmission "system" has all the bases covered with the latest technology in the industry.

Eaton, like Cummins, has lagged behind the European makers. I honestly don't know why they've been so complacent. At one time global leaders, they are now followers.