Swift,U.K.

hatcity

some interesting photos here....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3762053/Motorways-open-experts-investigate-terrifying-incident-M20-pedestrian-bridge-collapsed-heavy-Bank-Holiday-traffic.html

forum gossip has the truck in the kerb/emergency lane at low speed merging as the 'digger' had just been loaded at the road works just down the road... the clearance on uk motorways is 16'6" but there is discussion as to the curvature under the bridge over the emergency lane.. some experts stating the bucket is incorrectly positioned putting the boom high but still below legal height

so... Swift driver is innocent and extremely lucky... low bed guy brought it down but the tape measures are being calibrated as it's going to be argument measured in millimeters.

BC Mack

• Like 1

By the looks of the digger, they could have saved about a foot in height if they had curled the bucket under.  They might have run out of room with the other piece of equipment in front of it?  

Apparently they don't have the same chain laws like the US.   I know we have to have at least one chain on the stick.  Don't they usually have it turned around the other way also?  I'm sure some construction guys will know the rules.

379FF67D00000578-3761261-Pictured_This_i

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Freightrain...

your points are exactly what is being discussed on other forums....

those experienced in moving this machine state it should have been loaded facing the other way with the bucket curled to bring the boom down...

also noted.... and the Brits call this type of equipment "plant"... they note that it is the wrong trailer being used, a "low loader" (low bed) is the more usual and could be due to a "subbie" (contractor) being used and not one of the machines own company trailers and more knowledgeable drivers.

the photo you clipped shows the other discussion item... is the bridge full height 16'6" in the emergency lane?, note the curve under the remaining portion by the support column on the opposite side..

BC Mack

Ya, the bridge surely has a good dip in it.  Makes you wonder about where the high spot is actually at.

I've seen bridges here in Ohio where it has a sign at the highest point to let you know.  I've always seen where they were just putting a top coat on the roadbed and they actually cut it down under the bridge to maintain the clearance, Clarence.  Roger, roger, what's our vector Victor.  (LOL..sorry, one of my favorite lines from Airplane).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"