237 Turbo has a miss

I have a 65 Mack C95 fire engine and I have noticed when it is idling it has a miss they the exhaust. It will be running then makes a "puff" sound they the exhaust with some smoke. Can't tell if it's gray or blue. Under power I do not notice any loss of power so I'm thinking maybe an injector hanging up. The smoke smells terrible and burns your eyes. Anyone tell me what or if an injector cleaner actually works. I don't think it has a mechanical issue like a valve or broken valve spring. Thanks..

48 minutes ago, muncieman said:

I have a 65 Mack C95 fire engine and I have noticed when it is idling it has a miss they the exhaust. It will be running then makes a "puff" sound they the exhaust with some smoke. Can't tell if it's gray or blue. Under power I do not notice any loss of power so I'm thinking maybe an injector hanging up. The smoke smells terrible and burns your eyes. Anyone tell me what or if an injector cleaner actually works. I don't think it has a mechanical issue like a valve or broken valve spring. Thanks..

half burned fuel out of any engine smells terrible if i were you i would sure try some howes or stanadyne additive  see if that don`t clean it up some

Edited by carlotpilot

So today I used a thermal scanner on the exhaust ports to see if I could pinpoint which cylinders may be causing me an issue. Here is what I came up with. 1-171 2-221 3-210 4-180 5-169 6-164. I left it run an additional 5 minutes at 1200 RPM and here are the numbers 1-194 2-242 3-215 4-196 5-195 6-183. I'm thinking that number 2 and 3 are leaning out because of the higher tempatures. I did dump a bottle standyne injection cleaner in it and was going to dump it in again. Any input would be great thanks..

Yes took it for a hard ride up a big mountain the other day. It has not lost power. If I could figure out how to post a video of it I would. At idle it smokes a little which is not unusual I think but it lopes or puffs at idle. Sort of like purrs,purrs,purrs,then puff,puff,puff then back to purring good.

• 3 weeks later...

So I was doing some research and one of things I saw was if the control rack was misaligned it could cause a miss. Does anyone know how to check the adjustment of the gear segment and control sleeve on the control rack of an American Bosch injection pump for a 237 Mack. Thanks..