Ripped Off By Mack

I took my B67 to Mack of Nashville because it had a freeze plug leaking between the two heads of the 673. The heads would have to come off, a PS and an AC pump would have to be unbolted. Big job for me. So dealer gives me $1500 estimate- and later says it might be more. So anyway, bill turned out to be $4121.05.

I contacted Corporate Mack. Asked them to review my itemized bill, and if they thought it reasonable, I'd pay it. BTW- I also contacted Mack of Florida and Mack of Texas (Houston) - both said around $2500 including parts.

Well, their district service manager just called and said it was reasonable.

Here are some of the "reasonable" items. Labor $2214. An engine nut: $5.56- I needed 10. A washer $17.25- I needed 12.

I'm going down today and pay them. I have no choice. But I will demonstrate my dissatisfaction with Mack at every opportunity. Starting with their leadership- they need to know. Any other ideas out there?

I took my B67 to Mack of Nashville because it had a freeze plug leaking between the two heads of the 673. The heads would have to come off, a PS and an AC pump would have to be unbolted. Big job for me. So dealer gives me $1500 estimate- and later says it might be more. So anyway, bill turned out to be $4121.05.

I contacted Corporate Mack. Asked them to review my itemized bill, and if they thought it reasonable, I'd pay it. BTW- I also contacted Mack of Florida and Mack of Texas (Houston) - both said around $2500 including parts.

Well, their district service manager just called and said it was reasonable.

Here are some of the "reasonable" items. Labor $2214. An engine nut: $5.56- I needed 10. A washer $17.25- I needed 12.

I'm going down today and pay them. I have no choice. But I will demonstrate my dissatisfaction with Mack at every opportunity. Starting with their leadership- they need to know. Any other ideas out there?

dale. what's their labor rate? at 100.00 per hour that's 22.14 hours of work. almost 3- eight hour days. as the old chinaman said.... som-ting-wong. they might as well done an in-frame taking that long. i wish you the best of luck. j.j. :pat:

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

The price of parts are hard to argue. however I would want to know why it took 22-24hrs to do the job?(if at or around $100 per hr) If they could give a good reason that it took so long you have no choice to pay the bill. I would want to speak with the mech and service guy to see why it took 3 days to complete the job? you could ask to see what the book says for the AVG time to pull a head and install a head. I would guess 6hrs to pull and 6hrs to replace but thats at my slow speed.

• 3 weeks later...

:o $2214 for labor! I hope you got a big wet kiss. I overhaul Mack engines for less labor than this. :) Guess that's why this self employed truck mechanic has more work than he can do :pat:

Hope you don't have any more bad luck and have to use this shop again, hell bring it down my way and I know we can do better!

1971 Mack R600 Toterhome "Superdawg"

living the life of leisure pulling

1999 NuWa Snowbird 34+2 SE102 "Dawghouse"

I feel your pain and you have got some good advice above. I hope you can find some better answers and/or have your price adjusted. What I'm about to say is kind of like locking the barn after the horse was stolen, but in situations like you were in, where they give you an estimate, in your case $1500, and say it might be higher, I have learned to tell them "If it's going to go over $1500 would you give me a call first"? Since the time I once got burnt, I have found this to work. Keep us posted.