3-53 Detroit Diesel In A Chevy Pickup

other dog

Sorry bud not had time yet, done used up 2 quarts of tranny fluid in her. Not sure if i'm makin any headway, cause the middle cylinder has really slowed down on takin fluid. Hopefullt this'll work out. I stopped to check on parts for your b, but no one was around at the time. I'll try again tomorrow though.

thanks for checking did you find the numbers

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hey joe ya get that lil jimmy in the blue oval yet or is the rain held ya up like it has on my 94 GMC (Jimmy)2500 p/u ?

i got a 700R4 To replace the 1 that's in jimmy now but gotta wait till it dries up long enough to pull the 1 that's in the wrecked Bowtie 1st ..

later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Oh believe me when i get this thing unstuck, she'll be goin in. Rain has been ridiculous here though. Long time no see, Where have you been? You can't say hangin with your homies in downtown Memphis either...lol

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, first post for me.

I dont own a Mack or a OVR truck for that matter, but I do own a 73 Chevy C30 with a 4-53NA so I thought I check in and say HI!.

Shes got a Clark 285V trans (no overdrive) and a 14 bolt rear end that I do not know the ratio of yet, so far I have replaced the oil cooler, changed the fuel filters and driven it around my neighborhood.

There are a set of new N60 injectors sitting on the floorboard so I kinda wonder what is in the engine now? She smokes just alittle on start up and a little on acceleration but really is not that much compared to others I have seen.

Here a video: http://www.vimeo.com/2987098

post-3148-1232432153_thumb.jpg

post-3148-1232432190_thumb.jpg

post-3148-1232432302_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1320fastback

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone know how to unstick a diesel? Got it unloaded tonight, just to find out it's Fu$%*& stuck..I mean seriously i should have checked that but I was promised that it was alright, still my fault, but people that say they are your friends. If I bought it from anyone on here i could trust you guys. Not sure what to do cause i wanted this to work so bad it was unreal. Wanted to hear the 'ol detroit run so bad, but noooooo....I get the royal screwin it seems. I'm not taking it out on the family, just myself. Kinda beyond mad, at the point we're i'm gonna be a real piece of shit to deal with come tuesday. People like Tom, Rob, Thermodyne, and everyone else on here are true friends which is something you don't see anymore. Just had to vent a little, and any ideas, suggestions, or thoughts, or anything in general you guys might have please share. Not being gay or anything, but you guys ever need anything just ask, if i can't get to you i'll help the best i can, cause i feel that's how a true friend should be. I must be off now...as Otherdog would say.

Any progress?

I know how you feel. I was told that my 6V53T was a fresh rebuild. The seller was a complete liar.

The oil pan had a big gash in it, the crankcase gears were all chewed up, it had mismatching camshafts, one cracked head, and one head pitted beyond use, natural aspirated liners - with turbo pistons, 5 of the six injectors were stuck, and a metal contamination which required me to dismantle the entire engine to thoroughly clean.

When I got the engine home, and unloaded I literally spent hours cleaning it up, getting ready to use it.

Since the pan was unusable, I ordered a new pan. When it arrived, I removed the old one to find loads of loose metal.

At that moment, I felt completely suckered out of the $750 I paid for the thing, let alone the near $150 in fuel and tolls to pick it up.

I now have over $4K into it, and now it is fresh everything. Silver series heads, V7L cams, new pistons/liners/rings, polished crank, new oil coolers, rebuilt turbo, new filters, bearings, rebuilt injectors, etc.

I learned a lot working on my Detroit Diesel. When school lets out in December, I am going to go pay the seller a visit, and knock some sense into him with one of the melted pistons/connecting rod assemblies

I have some ideas on how to get some serious power out of the engines. I got a turbochargers book coming in the mail. When it arrives, I will study up how to setup and size a compound turbo setup on my detroit diesel.

I plan to put mine into a truck one day, but that will be after I finish college...

There are loads of people driving around the country in Detroit repowers.

Dan Renovetz is one of the most well known, he goes to all of the shows, and has been running detroit power for many years.

This is his truck:

(It has a 170hp 4-53T in it, upgraded with silver blower/turbo. It has a 5 speed and a 3 speed behind it. Dan just turned 77 in September, and he still drives it everywhere. He is on his second engine. He originally had a 4-53N in it. I hear he has well over 300K on his current engine. He said mileage was around 14mpg in tow, and 19 or so cruising)

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2994069360080251109IXYITr

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2052590400080251109AMKPof

That chevy posted just above belongs to a fellow named Jason in California, or New Mexico.

If you need any help with your Detroit let me know

Chris

Edited by KTRON