Iveco Stralis a quiet ride

kscarbel2

Big Rigs  /  May 27, 2016

My first ever drive in an Iveco Stralis was wa-a-a-y back in 2007, at least a couple of models ago.

I was running a B-double from Eastern Creek up to Kempsey as part of a B-double fuel economy comparison.

At that stage the UD GW470 was the leader in the fuel stakes, beating the Hino 700 and Mack Trident, even though it had the least horsepower and wasn’t really aimed at the interstate B-double market. It also had the gong for the best cab set-up.

But that was before the Stralis had its turn. The biggest Italian impressed from the start, but worried me as I hit the freeway around the Hawkesbury.

I found myself adjusting the steering constantly, until the factory driver along for the ride pointed out hat the truck was tracking straight and true –- it was just the gusting wind that was catching the tall Iveco cab and making me think the truck was wandering.

As soon as I figured that out, all was well and I very quickly settled into what was the most comfortable prime mover I’d driven.

The latest model is no less comfortable, but some aerodynamic changes appear to have eased the buffeting I felt back then.

Looking closely at the exterior, the Stralis cab doesn’t appear to be as aerodynamic as some of its Euro competition.

It must be effective though, because on the road there is almost no wind noise, and with a super-quiet engine the only thing to disturb the peace is tyre whine.

The test truck even had an external sun visor and insect screen, neither of which whistled and rattled as they often do.

It took me a while to get used to the latest 16-speed ZF transmission.

There’s a strong indent at about three-quarter throttle, and if I kept it there the truck kept the changes in the green zone between 1000 and 1500rpm, skipping shifts where possible.

But if I pushed through the indent it skipped even more gears while running the revs through a wide range between 1000 and 2100rpm.

This new Cursor engine is probably at its limits of 13-litre power and torque at its maximum rating of 560hp and 2300Nm, but the test truck was the 500hp version and had no trouble delivering consistent acceleration right through the working rev range.

The auxiliary brake is a two-stage unit operated from the steering column and complements the all-round disc brakes and Wabco E 4-channel ABS with EBL and ASR.

It automatically drops gears when it reads heavier braking is required.

Stralis has excellent vision, helped by an electric full width sunvisor and individual side window blinds to manage the early morning or late afternoon glare.

The new Stralis is well suited to regional or interstate work where driver fatigue is a critical issue.

Using the left armrest on the driver’s seat and resting my right arm on the wide door-sill, I could have driven for many more hours than this relatively short test allowed.

My remaining suggestion would be to make sure you have a drive of one before signing on for your next truck.

The comfort and quiet will impress anyone behind the wheel, and if you do your own service, the two-year, 500,000km/6000 hours warranty, with 100 percent parts and labour covered will ease past concerns of some operators.

image 9.jpg

Iveco’s ‘big car’

Big Rigs  /  May 27, 2016

IVECO is aiming its latest Stralis prime mover at the regional and interstate sector.

It’s a highly competitive market, with the currrent slowdown squeezing margins even tighter. But Stralis has a cab offering that would swing a lot of deals Iveco’s way if it can just get drivers behind the wheel.

Getting on board a Stralis is made easy with three large steps in front of the wheel.

Once in the seat, there is an overall impression of a big car, with similar padded trim and minimal dials and gauges.

On the dash there’s just a speedo and a tacho, plus smaller fuel and engine temp gauges.

A rectangular screen delivers any other information, including exceptions when the truck’s data suite detects a problem.

Driving controls couldn’t be easier.

A lever action park brake, then three buttons for the ZF transmission – D, N and R.

The air seat has a bewildering array of adjustment while the steering wheel has buttons for menu, phone, sound system volume and menu navigation.

On the right of the steering column is a lever for cruise control, and a two-stage auxiliary brake. Most functions can be operated while keeping both hands on the wheel.

To the left are light switches for back of cab, driving and fog lights and the main beam rotary switch is underneath those. Interior lights are alongside the gear selection buttons.

The main console is heavily skewed towards the driver, and includes hazard lights, windscreen shade/blind, air suspension height adjustment and the roof hatch control.

Beneath are large air vents, which deliver plenty of cold air on max air-con, plus drink and bits-n-pieces trays, with ashtray and 12V power supply below that. But there’s no USB port, either for the sound system or for charging devices.

A climate control system looks after temperature and the whole section is topped off with a large tray with a non-slip surface, which is perfect for phones and even iPads.

The AS-L cab is stand-up height and there are two bunks.

The bottom bunk has a control panel on the right-hand side of the cab that allows you to work the main dome light, power windows, roof hatch, door locks, radio, CD player and windscreen blind without getting out from under the doona. It also has a clock and alarm function. A bright map light is also on a stalk and is plenty for reading.

There’s a fold-down shelf for a laptop or small TV, plus a handy 12V power outlet.

The curtains for the side windows and those separating the bunk area from the driving seats are thick and heavy, so glare and noise from the parking area won’t be a problem.

Under the bunks are a larger-than-esky size storage compartment, plus a separate slide out fridge box big enough for several meals, plus a couple of drinks. Overhead storage is cavernous, and each section has its own hinged lid for security.

Clearly the Stralis cab has been designed by people who know what it’s like to be on the road day and night.

image 10.jpg

they arent a good seller out here never have been dont why but I think it has to do with Fiat trucks back in the late 70's 

Fiat , Iveco is all the same company and Fiat trucks pulled out of Australia in the late 70's over night and people had trucks they couldnt get parts for and were left high and dry they trucks went good enough but company support let them down

Bad name can hang around for a long time

Paul 

On 5/27/2016 at 9:13 PM, Red Horse said:

Kevin,

With all of the electronics, creature comforts, power systems, what does something like this cost? (US$)   Assume big power and live tandem

This is a complex question. In Oz, a Euro-5 13-liter/AMT/air ride Stralis 6x4 tractor runs around US$175,000 to US$200,000.

But if the Euro-6 (near EPA2010) 6x4 Stralis was assembled in the US from a KD (knocked-down) kit, would run US$120,000 to $150,000, depending on drivetrain, ect.

But Oz is expensive. Your US$1000 Sony TV cost US$2000 in Oz. 

There a lot to global sales pricing.

First you have the "ex-works" price, the price when it rolls out of the home-country factory. But that price varies, for one reason, because the cost of homologation varies country to country (e.g. differing lighting and safety requirements).

Then you have your "landed cost", the price of the truck as it arrives in country at the importing distributor, after you've added in ALL the costs to get it there, including import tariffs, various transportation (logistics) customs fees and red tape. These costs varies tremendously country-to-country.

In the US, we still have the ridiculous 25 percent import tax on trucks, Lyndon Johnson's Proclamation 3564, aka. the Chicken Tax. This is why the Japanese trucks are assembled here from KD (knocked-down) kits, so as to avoid that tax.

The Germans (M-B and MAN) were the first to catch up with American truck technology.

The Swedes later caught up to the Germans.

Now, Italy's Iveco has reached Europe's big league.

As BC Mack will tell you, Iveco is very popular now in the UK. They offer a very good value.

The "Hi-Way" Stralis is an updated verson of the Stralis design.

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

The Germans (M-B and MAN) were the first to catch up with American truck technology.

The Swedes later caught up to the Germans.

Now, Italy's Iveco has reached Europe's big league.

As BC Mack will tell you, Iveco is very popular now in the UK. They offer a very good value.

The "Hi-Way" Stralis is an updated verson of the Stralis design.

Impressive bit of marketing-can't think of any US  truck line that goes to such effort in terms of presentation-also seems that all these Euro trucks compete on an equally aggressive  basis.