Double overdrive

m16ty

I've got a RD822 with a 12 speed and I'm getting ready to install a Spicer 1241, 4 speed auxiliary. I don't recall the rear end ratio but it's low and the truck tops out around 60 mph right now.

What I'm wondering is if I can run the truck safely in 12th gear on the main box and OD on the auxiliary? I'm worried it would spin the rears too fast. I'm mainly installing the auxiliary for the lower gears but the double OD would be nice out on the highway,

David, I was worried about that and the overdrive gear is quite a bit narrower that the rest. I'd say it would be wise to stay out of OD during heavy pulling.

I might would do some dealing on the 1202 but I've already spent $1,600 in parts to rebuild this one. I've got a KW that could use a some more gears also so I'll keep you in mind if I ever get around to that project.

The guy a bought the box from has run these 1241s for years and probably the most knowledgeable heavy haul person in this area. I don't like to throw out names without people's permission but any heavy haul truckers in the middle TN area will know who I'm talking about. He said, if you treat it right, this box will hold up to anything you throw at it and the driveshaft will fail before the box does. He also said that what gets most boxes is running in lower transmission gears with the auxiliary in OD.