Isuzu Trucks: 27 Years of Continual Market Leadership

kscarbel2

New F series: Isuzu launches idle-stop engine system

Trucks.com.au  /  March 26, 2016

The advantages of smaller truck engines include lower weight and therefore lower cost to build, and less fuel use.

Isuzu’s new four cylinder 4HK1 uses less fuel again because for the first time in an Isuzu in Australia, trucks powered by it will have the idle-stop system (ISS).

When idling at a set of lights, in heavy traffic or during a pickup/delivery, the engine will cut out but quickly fire up again once you put your foot on the accelerator. There is ISS for both manual and auto transmissions.

Research by Isuzu in Australia has determined a strong justification for ISS, showing that a sample of medium-duty trucks spent literally half their time idling.

Isuzu says Japanese figures show a 7 per cent overall fuel saving in the new 4HK1 compared with previous four cylinder engines. Australian fuel trials will start soon.

But while fuel consumption might be "crowned king" as Isuzu puts it, what about the longevity of an engine that’s working harder for similar outputs to a bigger bore? Over a brief rev range the 4HK1 actually puts out slightly more torque than the six cylinder alternative, the 6HK1.

Isuzu acknowledges that the average 4HK1 probably won’t last as long as the six cylinder option before it needs a rebuild –, mind you at a minimum of well over 500,000km.

But the company says the vast majority of trucks will take 10 or even 15 years to clock up that many kilometres and by then will probably be onto their third or fourth owner.

Isuzu says there are several advantages of the four cylinder engine including less fuel use; at least 130kg less weight; higher payload; longer body and lower purchase price.

It wouldnt surprise me at all Isuzu have been number 1 for a long time before them it was IH and before that I reckon its was Bedford but I doubt Bedofrd and IH combined went for 27 years well done Isuzu 

The IH would have been the ACCO in its hey day and Bedford was only any good because nothing much else was around 

Paul

I've got a little 4.5t Isuzu tray back. It's a good little truck. It's basic and basic is good. It's probably a bit under powered but I've noticed these old "under powered" diesels went forever so I'm happy to live with it. 

14 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

It wouldnt surprise me at all Isuzu have been number 1 for a long time before them it was IH and before that I reckon its was Bedford but I doubt Bedofrd and IH combined went for 27 years well done Isuzu 

The IH would have been the ACCO in its hey day and Bedford was only any good because nothing much else was around 

Paul

Most Americans don't know about International Harvester's ACCO, but it is the stuff that legends are made of.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/36017-the-legendary-acco-%E2%80%93-designed-and-built-by-australians/#comment-248844

Adding to that, the TranStar 4670 was stunning and massive in appearance.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/30957-those-magnificent-aussie-international-transtar-4670s/#comment-182917

Simon Humphries explains Isuzu's updated F-series

Trucks.com.au  /  March 5, 2016

We talk to Isuzu Australia chief engineer Simon Humphries about the recently updated F-series

Isuzu Australia has revealed a new medium-duty line-up with a fresh engine range, interior, and transmission option to the local market.

Matt Wood chats with Isuzu Australia chief engineer Simon Humphries to find out his thoughts on the new F-series, the new four-cylinder 4HK1 and six-cylinder 6HK1 engines, the company’s plans in Australia, and the changing global truck sales market.

Video - http://www.tradetrucks.com.au/product-news/1604/video-isuzu-f-series-update-launch/