Proper Lock Ring Size

Guys - I picked up a couple of 24" rims that had some junk rubber on them.  8.00.  Long story short the lock rings look like junk.  What is the proper id for a lock ring for an 8" rim.  I have found one that is listed as a 5 degree.

Also anyone have a good source for these things.  My closest salvage yard who always seemed to have NYC mixer chassis around has nothing.

This is a touchy subject because if you don't get the EXACT match, it will be a disaster.  With the stamped information off each rim, it may be possible to get the correct ring info.  The rims MAY be the same but it should be verified.

Check out page 24.

http://www.accuridecorp.com/files/2012/10/Accuride-Wheels-Rim_Wheel-Safety-and-Service-Manual-ACC7-0002-Rev-4-06-22-12.pdf

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

My rule of thumb is if the lock ring is damaged or the rim it is junk.  I know some of the old stuff is a gamble when you buy them that is why I always try and get it as cheap as I can or try and make a deal that if it is no good I am not going to pay and they will get it back.

I also only buy rims with mounted tires at least that way chances are they are a matched set.  In the past I have dropped them off to shops and painted the ring and rim to know what ring goes with what rim.  I have gone to pick up rims to take to sand blast and everything is in a pile, but because they were marked not a big deal.  I personally clean the lips and inspect the rings and rims then if I don't like the looks of things they go in the scrap pile.  Once you clean the lip and inspect them you can snap them together and sandblast them that way if you send them out since the lip and ring are cleaned.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."