Leaf Spring Re-arching:

Rob

Does anyone do this any longer? I used to send springs to St. Louis and have them done with new bushings, center bolts and all hardware replaced to provide the ride height requested.

I haven't seen anyone do this in quite some time so I was wondering if it fell out of favor?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

I thought I would have my B67 springs re-arched.

Turns out that the center bolt hols were all rusty on the rears,

so new springs were a better alternative. The fronts, however,

were re-arched to new specs and new pins and bushings were installed.

The front rubbers were perfect, so no issue there.

That frame is going together now, so the jury is still out on whether or not

the re-arch was a good idea.

I don't know why it wouldn't be.

Paul Van Scott

Rob,

I thought I would have my B67 springs re-arched.

Turns out that the center bolt hols were all rusty on the rears,

so new springs were a better alternative. The fronts, however,

were re-arched to new specs and new pins and bushings were installed.

The front rubbers were perfect, so no issue there.

That frame is going together now, so the jury is still out on whether or not

the re-arch was a good idea.

I don't know why it wouldn't be.

Paul Van Scott

Hi Paul, did they re-arch hot, or cold? I used to have it done hot and they held up very well.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Tulsa auto spring still does it and i know of then for 43 years. They have gone to the cold rearch. I have had many spring jobs done their in fact i was out there about 3 months ago. So many times on old springs when you tear down a dip them then take a look they are full of cracks and Allen the shop man said what i agree with that if one has good springs but just want to add one and raise your ok but for one that has 800000 mile on it and is sitting low your may find too many leafs cracked.

glenn akers

St. Louis Spring used to charge about $75.00 ea., (including parts and bushings) to heat them, arch and retemper for the springs on the front of 4X4 pickups. I can't remember how many pairs of them were sent there. Most of those trucks in the late 70's to early 80's barely made it a year before the springs were going flat.

I've got at least eight springs that I would like to have evaluated. I will check with Tulsa.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

These were heated and re-arched by Thruway Spring in Rochester, NY.

Glenn is right (as usual!), there are so many little cracks and stress cracks in

most leafs that it isn't worth trying to save them. They are going to be unsafe.

That is what the guys found with my rear springs. New stacks all bushed, bolted and

re-pinned were very reasonable, I thought.

The fronts of the B-67 were probably never really abused, and were in much better condition,

hence the decision to re-arch them.

Nice RL700 find, by the way! And - it was nice of that guy to give you that trailer. How long do you

suppose it will be before he comes looking for it?

Paul VS

Rob,

These were heated and re-arched by Thruway Spring in Rochester, NY.

Glenn is right (as usual!), there are so many little cracks and stress cracks in

most leafs that it isn't worth trying to save them. They are going to be unsafe.

That is what the guys found with my rear springs. New stacks all bushed, bolted and

re-pinned were very reasonable, I thought.

The fronts of the B-67 were probably never really abused, and were in much better condition,

hence the decision to re-arch them.

Nice RL700 find, by the way! And - it was nice of that guy to give you that trailer. How long do you

suppose it will be before he comes looking for it?

Paul VS

Thanks Paul, I agree with what you've stated and with Glenn also. If my springs are fatigued, or marginal, they will be replaced without question. It is worth an evaluation rather than just arbitrarily replace them. Besides, if I did that, my already limited supply of funds would expeditiously evaporate.

Yes, it is very kind of Morgan to let me use his trailer. I certainly do wish he would give it to me, but I don't "smell" that happening! He uses it too much also.

I like this RL and hope it runs well and it's problems are minor.

I should know something by next weekend.

Rob

Ya, I know about them old "broken" springs. Of course I kinda made mine work a bit more then they ever were suppose to. I know that was the reason the broke.

My front spring look ok, but the drivers side has one broken "clamp" on it. You know those 1" straps wrapped around the leaves. Been wanting to pull it apart, never got to it. Got this real nice JACK I could use................oh, but dang it someones gunno take it away pretty soon.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"