Another EM6 boost question

Mcrafty1

I have another question about my boost on here but wanted to ask this separately.....My EM6 250 makes between 7 and 17ish lbs boost and runs fine but....I have to be a bit careful in long pulls or the exhaust temp will push up to and most likely would surpass 1050, My question is can I put a different turbo on this engine that will build more boost? and if I do that will more boost help keep the exhaust temps down in the 'safe' area without down shifting as soon? It's a drag when you drop out of high gear with a six speed and harder to get back into high because of the distance between gears. Has anyone had the same issue with their older Macks? if so what did you do to help fix the problem?

In the earlier post you indicated that the fuel had been bumped up. The increase in EGT can be showing an imbalance between the fuel and air.

There can be other causes to the higher reading on the pyro such as a restrictive exhaust system, a restriction or blockage in the cooler limiting air, dirty air filter, high engine water temperature or engine timing being slightly off.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

In the earlier post you indicated that the fuel had been bumped up. The increase in EGT can be showing an imbalance between the fuel and air.

There can be other causes to the higher reading on the pyro such as a restrictive exhaust system, a restriction or blockage in the cooler limiting air, dirty air filter, high engine water temperature or engine timing being slightly off.

Firstly, Thanks for the reply...The Air filter is new, the timing has been checked twice and the water temp never goes above 200...I have only seen the fan go into full lock once (is a viscous style fan hub set at 205 ) in twelve years and that was about 11 and 1/2 years ago The fuel was turned up after the engine was overhualed at about year four of ownership, before that the EGTS never went above 850-900 but the truck was gutless, just squeezed to hard for economy as far as I was concerned, the truck would go up hill and down now with 12 yards of gravel in the box without dropping out of high gear if it wasn't for the hot exhaust. I drive it myself so I watch it closely I just would be happier if it didn't climb up that high, that is why I was asking about a bigger turbo. Thanks again

...and the muffler is a 60 dollar Donaldson that I don't believe, judging by the sound it makes, has much for internals ie: baffles, so I don't believe there is much restriction there. But IDK

...and by the restriction in the cooler do you mean the ATA or CAC as some refer to it being restricted?

How many miles are on your turbo? Have you ever had the air to air and intake pressurized to check for small leaks? Have you checked the accuracy of your pyro? You are fine running your exhaust temp up to 1050, I had a 300 that I'd let pull hard and the pyro would hit 1050 then start dropping and pull better.

How many miles are on your turbo? Have you ever had the air to air and intake pressurized to check for small leaks? Have you checked the accuracy of your pyro? You are fine running your exhaust temp up to 1050, I had a 300 that I'd let pull hard and the pyro would hit 1050 then start dropping and pull better.

The truck has 397,XXX and I believe the turbo is most likely the original, at least it was on there when I bought the truck in 02 or 03 with 280,XXX miles on the clock. I have never checked the ATA for leaks so maybe I should do that... The truck runs good, it's just that the EGT gets up to 1050, the max it says to let it get up to. I have never checked the pyrometer so that's another thing to look at. I have never let the EGT get to 1050 without dropping a gear so I don't know if it would drop if I let it pull without shifting or not. It just didn't seem like it would.