How rare are/were the lightweight B models?

Went to a guys place today to purchase some B model parts and one of his trucks was a B61 LST. How common were these? Is there a list of the aluminum parts? I purchased the hood and will be getting the air tank next time I'm there. I saw the motor mounts and spring hangers were aluminum. This is the first lightweight model Iv run across.

Jeremy

The light weight B's are not that uncommon. there were more of them out West. That is were I found the two that I have. They are lighter but at a cost. Remember most of them were built with surplus war scrap aluminum. Most of the castings are weak and cracked if you can find them today. My B-75 radiator is polished and you can see about 3 different shades and mix lines in the castings.

The LTL's had a lot of aluminum in them. There are over 140 aluminum pieces that totaled 2000lbs weight savings in the "L" version. I don't think there is one left that has all the aluminum intact now. There has been several aluminum front engine mount put in mine all cracked, cracked though once and dropped the engine, tore up the fan shroud with the fan, rear aluminum cross over with the drive shaft last time.

One thing, think twice about those original aluminum air tanks. I have several and did not use one. They are SUPER THIN compared to new tanks and all have corrosion, inside if not on the outside. My LTL had them and now has steel ones, the B-755 has new Aluminum Pete tanks. The old tanks are dangerous after 50 years. Don't mess with old aluminum air tanks if you intend on driving it.

• Like 2