Scania launches Euro 6 ethanol truck

kscarbel2

Scania Group Press Release / October 20, 2015

With more than 30 years’ experience of producing vehicles for ethanol, Scania has now launched its latest Euro 6 (EPA2010) ethanol engine for trucks. The first order has been placed by Arla, the Danish international dairy corporation that annually produces more than 13 billion litres of milk. The 17 new ethanol-powered Scania dairy delivery trucks will operate in the Greater Stockholm Area.

That ethanol has the potential of reducing carbon emissions by up to 90 percent has recently been verified in a three-year study of alternative fuels in heavy vehicle deliveries by the City of Stockholm.

With a fleet of Euro 5 ethanol trucks, the Stockholm transport company Kyl- och Frysexpressen confirmed that level of CO2 reduction. Additionally, the transporter reported problem-free operations no different than with a fleet of traditional diesel-powered trucks.

Scania notes an increasing interest in employing ethanol for heavy vehicles, including buses. India and South Africa are two countries currently examining the prospects for large-scale introduction. In addition to the advantage of being domestically produced, ethanol can generate local jobs.

In this interview, Daniel Milione, Product Manager for Alternative Fuels at Scania, outlines the bright future for ethanol.

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmQXXTJruo0

post-16320-0-27548500-1445414629_thumb.j

Average of 33% less MPG than diesel powered I recall

God help us if / when the EPA gets on this band wagon. . .

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Average of 30,000 plants per acre = 170 bushels per acre times my acreage = not enough $$ for my piddly farm

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hold on to your corn. Much of the ethanol used in Sweden is very low-cost, imported from Brazil, where it's produced from sugarcane.

Brazil is a massive producer/user of ethanol, which they are able to produce at extremely low-cost there (and give Big Oil some serious competition!).

Every country market has a unique situation. And that's why Scania offers numerous alternative fuel solutions.

I read the other day that the big oil companies are about to begin an anti-ethanol campaign that says that the total overall effect of ethanol is worse on the environment than regular gas with no ethanol.

You decide

Producing ethanol actually creates a net energy loss. According to D.O.E. calculations, producing corn and processing it into 1 gallon of ethanol requires 131,000 BTUs of energy; but 1 gallon of ethanol contains only 77,000 BTUs [source:EPA/DOE]. And since farmers are using fossil-fuel-powered equipment to plant, maintain and harvest the corn and are using fossil-fuel-powered machinery to process that turn crops into ethanol and then, in almost all cases, to ship the product to collection points via fuel-powered transport, the ethanol industry is actually burning large amounts of gasoline to produce this alternative fuel. That ethanol could end up containing less energy than the gasoline consumed to produce it. The U.S. National Renewable Energy Lab finds that it requires 1.3 BTUs of fossil fuel to get 1 BTU of ethanol to market [source: NREL]. That would mean a 30 percent net loss of energy. To place that figure in perspective a vehicle the gets 30 MPG on fossil fuel will get 26.7 on ethanol. The DOE and FDA estimates that powering a car for a single year using ethanol would require 11 acres (44,515 square meters) of corn, a space that can be used to feed at least seventeen people for a year.

P.T.CHESHIRE

You decide

Producing ethanol actually creates a net energy loss. According to D.O.E. calculations, producing corn and processing it into 1 gallon of ethanol requires 131,000 BTUs of energy; but 1 gallon of ethanol contains only 77,000 BTUs [source:EPA/DOE]. And since farmers are using fossil-fuel-powered equipment to plant, maintain and harvest the corn and are using fossil-fuel-powered machinery to process that turn crops into ethanol and then, in almost all cases, to ship the product to collection points via fuel-powered transport, the ethanol industry is actually burning large amounts of gasoline to produce this alternative fuel. That ethanol could end up containing less energy than the gasoline consumed to produce it. The U.S. National Renewable Energy Lab finds that it requires 1.3 BTUs of fossil fuel to get 1 BTU of ethanol to market [source: NREL]. That would mean a 30 percent net loss of energy. To place that figure in perspective a vehicle the gets 30 MPG on fossil fuel will get 26.7 on ethanol. The DOE and FDA estimates that powering a car for a single year using ethanol would require 11 acres (44,515 square meters) of corn, a space that can be used to feed at least seventeen people for a year.

Again, I'm speaking of sugarcane.......not corn.

Look into it the next time you're in Brasil, you'll be impressed.

Again, I'm speaking of sugarcane.......not corn.

Look into it the next time you're in Brasil, you'll be impressed.

I feel the Ethanol based fuel here would be cane based if it was not for the powerful lobby for corn based fuels.

There was a good article on why GM and Ford won't or can't bring their E fueled vehicles to North America. I recall there is an extremely limited support base for Gas and Diesel powered vehicles in Brazil

P.T.CHESHIRE

I feel the Ethanol based fuel here would be cane based if it was not for the powerful lobby for corn based fuels.

There was a good article on why GM and Ford won't or can't bring their E fueled vehicles to North America. I recall there is an extremely limited support base for Gas and Diesel powered vehicles in Brazil

Don't get me wrong, the majority of commercial trucks there are diesel. But ethanol is a viable alternative there.

Brasil is a very interesting and diverse truck market, one of my favorites.

• 2 weeks later...