62 Mack B85 Alternator / Rectifier

Hey all, new to site. Picked up a '62 Mack B85 Fire Truck a few months ago and have been learning as I go. Has been running pretty well but had a starting issue that has snowballed. Rebuilt the starter and was good for a couple weeks but now rectifier is smoking and alternator test off battery wasn't promising lowering V from 12.6 to 10.2. Do I need to replace rectifier? Rebuild alternator? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

When I powered up the 49 LS85 I put the battery in it with a negative ground and I was making stuff hot...I figured out my error and installed the battery with positive ground and everything worked properly...I'm not sure that is your issue, but it sounds the same...someone else will know better than I. I'd verify which way it should be before doing anything else.

Crap, positive ground has to be correct. Just put new batteries in and I had cables off and old batteries out but I swore positves were hooked up to ground after following cables to the frame... I'll swap and see what alternators doing. That leads me back to starter issue then. Truck wasn't turning over, pulled starter and worked on a bench test with 12v, put starter back in and started without issue. I thought maybe that had to do with cables possibly being reversed but I guess that wasn't it. Again, any advice fir a rookie greatly appreciated

Starters like old generators can be polarized for a negative or positive ground system. They are an electric motor. Bench run it with a positive ground set up and it should be fine. If the grounds were reversed the Rectifier bridge could be toast. Some where I have the test values for the entire charging system. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

Rectifiers were discontinued back in the 70's. I converted many of those to Leece Neville or Motorola integral alternators. I think they are called Load Handler now. You will just need a pos and neg cable. IIRC you will need a new pulley also, the original had tapered shaft.

Mike Pacitto

Chelmsford Mass