Hood Springs...

The other day after pre-tripping my truck, I closed the hood and it caught me by surprise when it slammed shut. It NEVER felt that heavy before....so I opened it back up and one of the hood springs that run from the top of the radiator mount to the hood had broken.

I finally made it by the Mack dealer today, and when I found out the price of the springs, I just bought one to replace the one that had broken. After I put it on, I noticed the considerable difference in tension between the new spring and old...but I closed the hood anyway. It felt lighter than it had ever felt before....WOW that new spring made a HUGE difference. So, i went back inside and paid some more money and got the other spring too. When I closed the hood with both new springs, I couldn't believe how little effort it took to control the hood.

Now all I need is one finger on the back of the Bulldog's head to open and close the hood of my CH B)

I've NEVER had a hood that was that easy to open or close on any truck I've ever driven....'bout the only thing that would make it any easier would be one of them fancy push button electronic thingamajiggers that opens and closes the hood for you :o

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

The other day after pre-tripping my truck, I closed the hood and it caught me by surprise when it slammed shut. It NEVER felt that heavy before....so I opened it back up and one of the hood springs that run from the top of the radiator mount to the hood had broken.

I finally made it by the Mack dealer today, and when I found out the price of the springs, I just bought one to replace the one that had broken. After I put it on, I noticed the considerable difference in tension between the new spring and old...but I closed the hood anyway. It felt lighter than it had ever felt before....WOW that new spring made a HUGE difference. So, i went back inside and paid some more money and got the other spring too. When I closed the hood with both new springs, I couldn't believe how little effort it took to control the hood.

Now all I need is one finger on the back of the Bulldog's head to open and close the hood of my CH B)

I've NEVER had a hood that was that easy to open or close on any truck I've ever driven....'bout the only thing that would make it any easier would be one of them fancy push button electronic thingamajiggers that opens and closes the hood for you :o

Do keep in mind that the hood will fly open quite easily if the latches are left undone. I've seen several hoods damaged beyond reasonable repair from spring assist because the driver thought it was alright to move the truck a short distance without fastening the latches.

When they pop open with a jab on the brakes, it is usually violent, and can be expensive.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Do keep in mind that the hood will fly open quite easily if the latches are left undone. I've seen several hoods damaged beyond reasonable repair from spring assist because the driver thought it was alright to move the truck a short distance without fastening the latches.

When they pop open with a jab on the brakes, it is usually violent, and can be expensive.

Rob

reminds me of the time I was working on my old Ford pickup. I was doing something under the hood,forgot what,but I just lowered it and didn't latch it.Then I forgot it wasn't latched and got in it later and took off up the road and it flew back over the windshield,greatly decreasing my visibility,cracking the windshield,denting the top of the cab,and ruining the hinges. I should have done a pre-trip inspection!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

reminds me of the time I was working on my old Ford pickup. I was doing something under the hood,forgot what,but I just lowered it and didn't latch it.Then I forgot it wasn't latched and got in it later and took off up the road and it flew back over the windshield,greatly decreasing my visibility,cracking the windshield,denting the top of the cab,and ruining the hinges. I should have done a pre-trip inspection!

Same thing on my Dodge pickup last year but not my fault:

I had the truck cleaned up by the detailer on second shift. He closed the panel low enough to extinguish the underhood lamp, but did not latch it down, (I do not know why). At 10 p.m. the same evening, I, with the building dark, backed out of the facility, and started down the highway. Needless to say the hood did not stay down and basically the same happened. With quick thinking on what to do I eased over to the side of the road, walked back to the shop, grabbed a 10 pound slided hammer to yank the hinges back to a form so I could close the hood and did just that.

The next morning I ordered a used hood and hinges from a salvage yard I used but the parts that arrived were scrap! I was so angry over this they were sent back and I haven't dealt with that yard since. To settle down, I purchased a set of hinges from ebay, and ordered a new OEM hood panel. Also went ahead and cut the glass out to repaint the unit while parts arrived.

When the replacement hood panel shows up, the driver informs me there is a large recall on the hood latches for the Dodge trucks! I then call my supporting dealer and there are seven outstanding recalls on my truck that I purchased new in 96! I have not relocated, changed phone numbers, or anything and believe it or not, have the oil changed periodically at the Dodge dealer! My truck seemed to be lost from the database of existence!

Long story short is Chrysler Corp. put a new OEM hood, hinges, chrome grille, and painted the front half of the truck at no cost, (did a nice job too). The hinges went back order for a length of time, so I provided the used set from ebay to get the truck finished. I now have the new OEM hinges in the box at the shop which I will probably ebay sale.

Unfortunately, the detailers' employment status changed the very next morning as this was not the first incident requiring rework due to complacency.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I don't move my vehicles without at LEAST one hood latch secured...even short distances (like to move the truck in the driveway onto the asphalt to be able to roll under it on a creeper). Same with the pickups...I've seen people roll cars around inside a shop with the hood propped up...not me....always put it down and at least the safety latch (released through the grill) is holding the hood.

Damage caused by being lazy is too easy to cause and too expensive to fix....don't add but 2 seconds to make sure that hood ain't goin' nowhere...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!