Tires And Or Rims

Hey, I have a 1965 C95F Fire Engine and it needs tires. It has the old split rim Mack wheels with 10 00 20 tires. Should I stay with this classic setup or are there any better options out there?

Thanks

Bruce

11X22.5 are very near the same size. You can get them in either radial or bias ply and both are tubeless type.

10X20 are readily available, but most are offshore produced and not very good quality, (my opinion).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Fireflem

We have a B75 Firetruck and drive it about 1500 miles per year to shows etc. We found Firestone 9.00 X 20.00 bias tires- and wanted bias becuase we show the truck and wanted it to be like original. They do have the flat spots when you first start out until they warm up. If you will not be showing the truck and want it to have a smoother ride and easier steering then you should go with the 11X 22.5 radials, which will require that you buy the new wheels, which was about twice as much the first time.

If you plan on showing the truck or not driving it too much then you should go with to 10.00 X 20 bias ply.

Firemack

11X22.5 are very near the same size. You can get them in either radial or bias ply and both are tubeless type.

10X20 are readily available, but most are offshore produced and not very good quality, (my opinion).

Rob

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Hey,Rob;

While you're here,I might be able to get a full set of 11.00R-22.5's on Daytons free or very reasonable. Is it possible for me to use these rims and tires on my EH? I'm currently on 9.00-20's but they're badly weathered. My concerns are,will they work with my hubs,and if so,what can I do for spacers between the rear wheels to make everything fit? With my 20's I have about 4 inches between the sidewalls.

Not trying to steal the thread,but reading this topic reminded me I have to get this figured out or lose my chance at the newer wheels.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Hey,Rob;

While you're here,I might be able to get a full set of 11.00R-22.5's on Daytons free or very reasonable. Is it possible for me to use these rims and tires on my EH? I'm currently on 9.00-20's but they're badly weathered. My concerns are,will they work with my hubs,and if so,what can I do for spacers between the rear wheels to make everything fit? With my 20's I have about 4 inches between the sidewalls.

Not trying to steal the thread,but reading this topic reminded me I have to get this figured out or lose my chance at the newer wheels.

Speed

Yes they will fit without clearance issues. The only thing is you may need to purchase wider spacers for the rear but they are readily available at any truck tire vendor used.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Speed,

I have a pair of 11.00 X 22.5's on my "new" EF.

I put them on just to hold the thing in the air and to steer it for loading and unloading.

They almost didn't fit under the wheel wells,and might be an issue when turning hard.

I'm going with 9.00 X 22.5 and still may need to have the springs re-arched.

That said, Free or cheap is good!!!

You could run them as drivers and not have problems.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Speed,

I have a pair of 11.00 X 22.5's on my "new" EF.

I put them on just to hold the thing in the air and to steer it for loading and unloading.

They almost didn't fit under the wheel wells,and might be an issue when turning hard.

I'm going with 9.00 X 22.5 and still may need to have the springs re-arched.

That said, Free or cheap is good!!!

You could run them as drivers and not have problems.

Packer

I've got 10.00X22 bias on my A-40 without clearance issues. They are Budd hubs.

Rob

• 1 month later...

I'm not trying to steal this thread either but was getting ready to start a thread asking the same question. My B20 has 10.00-20's and Dayton's on it which have seen better days. If I am reading this right the Dayton hub is the same and I could use 22.5 Dayton wheels on the stock B20 hubs which in turn would allow me to use the much more common 11-22.5 tubeless tires.

I'm not trying to steal this thread either but was getting ready to start a thread asking the same question. My B20 has 10.00-20's and Dayton's on it which have seen better days. If I am reading this right the Dayton hub is the same and I could use 22.5 Dayton wheels on the stock B20 hubs which in turn would allow me to use the much more common 11-22.5 tubeless tires.

That assumption is correct.

Rob

That assumption is correct.

Rob

Thanks Rob, do I need 22.5 x 8.25 rims for the conversion or some other width.

By the way I just found these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=310035874703 might be a deal for someone, I was recently quoted $200 a piece for Chinese 10.00-20's with tubes and flaps.

Thanks Rob, do I need 22.5 x 8.25 rims for the conversion or some other width.

By the way I just found these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=310035874703 might be a deal for someone, I was recently quoted $200 a piece for Chinese 10.00-20's with tubes and flaps.

8.25 is the standard reccommended size for that tire but a 7.5 inch will work also. I don'k know how common the narrower rim is nowadays though.

Rob

8.25 is the standard reccommended size for that tire but a 7.5 inch will work also. I don'k know how common the narrower rim is nowadays though.

Rob

A few years ago I was able to buy 22.5 x 8.25 Dayton rims for about $20.00 apiece in a junkyard near here.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Ok, one more rookie question. Will both of the 8.25" wheels fit on the rear hubs w/o being too wide? I'm not sure of the width of the stock 10.00-20 wheels, just don't want any surprises after I spend a bunch of money.

If I remember correctly most 10.00X20 tube type wheels were 7.25 inch in width. I would get wider spacers. Any truck tire shop will know and supply what you need.

Rob

Thanks, I feel better now knowing I'm not stuck with the old tube type rubber. :D

I don't really care for the Chinese, or Indian manufactured tires. This is based on not seeing too many round ones.

Seen a lot of Korean produced tires that are very good if you stay with Hankook, Power King, Kumho or a few of the other common names.

Rob

Just to confuse the issue -

If any of you are interested, I will be getting

a set of four brand new 10.00 x 20" bias ply

re-caps on Dayton rims. These are part of a deal

for a B-61 I acquired this morning.

I am using tubeless radials on my trucks, so

I will part with these very reasonably.

If anyone is interested, contact me by PM here on this site.

Paul Van Scott

First off-Bruce-Sorry for stealing your thread. A lot of times I don't think to ask about something until I see that topic come up in a forum,then I have to ask right then or I forget about it until I see it again. Hope your tire change over works without any trouble.

Next-Thanks,guys,for all the excellent information. :notworthy: You guys ROCK!!! :thumb:

I was told by the owner the tires/wheels are mine when I need 'em,but I haven't been able to connect with him to go get 'em. Hopefully it won't be one of those deals that fades away from waiting too long.

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>