Bendiks runs the old silk road with Mack E9 power

Lillesand, Norway-based Birkeland Transport (Bendiks) operates a fleet of DAF, Scania and Volvo tractors, as well as a Mack E9 V8-powered Magnum.

Here’s the Magnum last month at Alashankou land port, at the border of Kazakhstan and northwest China (a long way from Norway).

Bendiks website - http://bendiks-transport.no/bilparken/

Past photographs of this truck - http://hankstruckforum.com/htforum/index.php?topic=56444.105

post-16320-0-48304200-1435309753_thumb.j

post-16320-0-45717600-1435309759_thumb.j

post-16320-0-04469800-1435309764_thumb.j

• Like 2

Now this once unic truck was killed by Volvo. Renault Magnum is not produced anymore, instead was replaced by Renault T which is based on Volvo FH. When I first saw a Renault Magnum was probably '91 or '92 and I thought that truck came from another planet.

Renault pushed the envelope in designing that truck. At that time it was the only truck with a axle forward set up and a completely flat cabin floor.

It took the European Truck of the year award.

The axle forward design was not common among european designed trucks due to turning radius but very common on the american designed cabovers as you guys now so I'm guessing that this might have had something with Mack( Kscarbel might have some info on this)

The new Renault T it's a set back axle truck wich shows Volvo's hand in that truck.

I personally don't like the new Renault T but that's just me.

So pay close attention to the new Mack truck wich is gonna be based on Volvo cab.

Volvo did it in Europe with Renault and they will do it here with Mack to. It will happen regardless of what Mack customers think or want

• Like 2

Now this once unic truck was killed by Volvo. Renault Magnum is not produced anymore, instead was replaced by Renault T which is based on Volvo FH. When I first saw a Renault Magnum was probably '91 or '92 and I thought that truck came from another planet.

Renault pushed the envelope in designing that truck. At that time it was the only truck with a axle forward set up and a completely flat cabin floor.

It took the European Truck of the year award.

The axle forward design was not common among european designed trucks due to turning radius but very common on the american designed cabovers as you guys now so I'm guessing that this might have had something with Mack( Kscarbel might have some info on this)

The new Renault T it's a set back axle truck wich shows Volvo's hand in that truck.

I personally don't like the new Renault T but that's just me.

So pay close attention to the new Mack truck wich is gonna be based on Volvo cab.

Volvo did it in Europe with Renault and they will do it here with Mack to. It will happen regardless of what Mack customers think or want

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/40694-remembering-renaults-virages-program-the-magnums-beginning/?p=294983

I have no knowledge as to why Renault chose a set-forward front axle (loosely termed U.S. style). But the flat floor, the industry's first, certainly wasn't inspired by any American COE trucks.

Aus got the magnum, sold as a mack. Sure was odd looking, but was before its time. Re sale is poor, but you you get a good drive line for little bucks.

Interesting at the end of that last article it mentions "e7 has potential to go up to 500hp with increased capacity". What a shame that never happened!

Wow, that did contain a lot of the information I was looking for.... The Silk Road Mack in the above picture is an E9 though? (Not a metric E9)

Where do you find all this stuff???!!!! What year would the ad from above be?

Interesting that my E9 has the oil filters and cooler on the opposite side, than the one pictured above.

Not to sound stupid, but that Silk Road Mack actually traveled all the way to KZG from Norwegen??? How do Euro long haulers manage the language barriers (not to mention the laws/permits) when going across all those borders?

Ron

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.