Insight: How Fiat got Chrysler for free at the expense of the US taxpayer

kscarbel2

John Q Public "forgave" GM's debt also but not as blatantly as Fiat Auto Groups deal. Fits with most other Bail outs, Government sponsored start ups (Fiskers to name one) and "Green Energy" loans.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

So they want GM to take over Chrysler? Why would the government even let that happen? Gm sells alot of trucks, Chrysler sells alot of trucks, in no way merging them would make it better. What say you kscarbel2?

56% of GM is in UAW hands I believe do I hear STRIKE threats?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

So they want GM to take over Chrysler? Why would the government even let that happen? Gm sells a lot of trucks, Chrysler sells a lot of trucks, in no way merging them would make it better. What say you kscarbel2?

Frankly speaking, I think most of us have tossed "good faith" in our country's management team to the curb and come to the realization that government more often than not acts in the interests of big business.

Look at NAFTA. The sales pitch to the gullible masses was a complete fabrication, a brilliantly played out distraction from the truth. NAFTA was the idea of big business, a way for them to produce in low-labor-cost Mexico, and then import to the US without tariffs (which would otherwise evaporate the labor savings).

I can appreciate US companies searching for a solution to rising US labor costs. But the government should have crafted a solution that kept production in America.

Look at the costs of benefits to companies, eg. health insurance. The health care and pharmaceutical industries are two of the biggest scams of our lifetime. An MRI in overseas countries on a new General Electric machine costs US$75, but you pay $2000 to $3000 in America, and thus have stratospheric insurance premiums. Why doesn't the government serve the people and address this deplorable situation? Again, because it has the interests of big business (the highest bidder) at heart. It's all an extremely sad situation.

As Nardelli said in the video, it makes no sense for Ford to dilute itself by merging with Chrysler.

As for GM, I personally can imagine a merger with specifically the Chrysler unit of FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobile..........the near bankrupt Fiat is not part of my equation.

In the commercial truck segment, Dodge's RAM 3500/4500/5500 are selling well to a majority of Americans, people who would never consider a Dodge in the old days. In the car side, Chrysler overall is weak.

So if you combine:

GM Colorado/Canyon + Silverado 1500/2500

Dodge commercially oriented 3500/4500/5500 (FAR more suitable for the US than Isuzu low cab forward N-series trucks)

The full size range of GM automobiles

Chrysler performance halo cars

I can imagine an optimized blend of product.

• Like 1