1947 ALF 700

joemac

I'm now the owner of a 1947 American La france 775 PGC Pumper, originally serving Albion, NY for all of its service. We brought her down from upstate NY to SE Pa., last week.

I'll try posting a photo, but they always seem to get flipped sideways and I can't fix 'em.

This pumper was re-powered in the 70s with a Detroit 6V53 that starts right up and sounds healthy.

The only diesel experience I have is some training @ VW of America, back in the 70s into the 80s. I've repaired hundreds of diesel Rabbits, probably replacing a hundred head gaskets over the years. Still have my tools, but haven't touched one in years.

I understand the concept, but this is a new world for me. It's big, heavy, a six-banger and a two-stroke. Very different, for me.

I was fortunate enough with the purchase to obtain a factory manual with the rig and I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with it.

Where is the best place to post questions regarding this engine?

TIApost-17092-0-00708900-1433292940_thumb.j

• Like 2

The old Detroits are pretty much bullet-proof. Just like all diesels they need clean fuel above all else. If it has been sitting I would change the fuel filter now and then again after a few hundred miles.

Other than that buy yourself a lifetime supply of absorbent pads to keep soaking up the leaking oil and keep ear muffs in the cab to use when you start it up.

Good luck; the ALF 700's are a neat truck.

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. The only oil leakage is a little seepage from what would be valve covers on a four-stroke, not even enough to cause a drip. I plan on changing all of the filters at oil change time, probably next week. Taking care of the brakes and tires, first.

• Like 2

Joemac nice firetruck. With the 2 cycle Detroits 53-71 series they recommend low ash straight weight oils 40 weight for warm weather is recommended. Delo 100 is good for 2 cycle Detroits if you can find it. There are a few other brands that work well also. I will try to find the brands. Detroits with the stamped valve covers are prone to leaking. If you can find a set of the cast aluminum they stay dry. Good Luck. Joe D.