Compressor Coolant Lines

I have a 57 b61 with a 673 turbo, the engine has its problems and I am trying some advice about quelling some smokey exhaust. While I was looking over the engine I noticed a rubber hose coming from the back of the compressor and feeds along the side of the block behind the injector pump, the hose stops near the fuel filter canister and had a bolt in the line plugging it off, the makeshift blockage is now leaking coolant. Is this supposed to go somewhere?

I assume the compressor should have coolant going into it from somewhere. Will this harm the compressor, it looks like its been there like that quite awhile.

I also noticed the thermostat housing has been plugged off with some sort of epoxy on top, was there a fitting that went somewhere?

Does anyone have a spare thermostat housing they want to sell, so I can put the proper hoses back on.

It appears the old owner just kept plugging the lines and hoses with bolts and clamps as they sprung leaks. I am worried I will cook the engine. But.....as in my other posts I have already mentioned the engine never really gets hot and was told that is why it smokes lots. Any ideas???

Ya, the compressor needs coolant, though I'd have to go look at mine to tell where it all hooks up(might be the plugged thermostat housing). I put all new lines on my as the old stuff was pretty stiff from engine heat after 49 yrs.

The compressor basically "runs" constantly, though it "unloads"(freewheels) when air is up to pressure.

As long as there is water circulating and you aren't working the engine it will never really heat up(especially if shutters don't close). That is why it is never good to idle a diesel. It needs to be worked to build up heat to burn off all the crud.

If no one gets you the information, I'll be glad to get some pics of my truck for you.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

And yes, if your engine is running cold it will smoke! Sounds like the previous owner may have removed the thermostat too if he has done the rest of the work. Bad idea as your engine will never get up to operating temp with no thermostat, unless it's a day where it's 110 in the shade. No coolant running through the compressor can cause it to cook the head of the compressor and crack. Also with all the other plugs and blockages you run the risk of airlocks in the engine heads and block due to bad coolant circulation.

My 1956 B61 does not have a thermostat and I am thinking that all the END 673s with hydraulic governors on the front of the injection pumps did not have thermostats in cooling systems. You just run the hell out of them and the shutters took care of the temperature.

How bout it Superdog - give us some guidance on this bit of history. I could be way off base. But I will bet Obama on one thing - this cat ain't learning no damn Spanish!!!

Over & out from Ignorant Ridge,

Tom

Don't think my truck has thermostat? Uses only the shutters to get heat, like Tom mentioned. If the shutter stick open(first time out), it won't get warm at all(maybe 140), but once you smack them closed they will then open/close and keep the temp around 170 running down the road(with load).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Don't think my truck has thermostat? Uses only the shutters to get heat, like Tom mentioned. If the shutter stick open(first time out), it won't get warm at all(maybe 140), but once you smack them closed they will then open/close and keep the temp around 170 running down the road(with load).

Ok, I'll stick my hand up in the ignorance field here. I guess they use the radiator shutters to control the engine temp. See you can learn something at my age. :D I still don't like the idea of compressor coolant lines being blocked off. Only one word comes to mind - EXPENSIVE-

My 1956 B61 does not have a thermostat and I am thinking that all the END 673s with hydraulic governors on the front of the injection pumps did not have thermostats in cooling systems. You just run the hell out of them and the shutters took care of the temperature.

How bout it Superdog - give us some guidance on this bit of history. I could be way off base. But I will bet Obama on one thing - this cat ain't learning no damn Spanish!!!

Tom

That ant no way to treat our guest is it?

glenn akers

Tom

That is a woodward governor and the engine that uses that governor can or may not have a oil cooler. I dont know what year oil coolers ways put on but i know that the oil cooler and thermostat and P intake manifold which was a duel intake and a full flow oil filter was put on the 187 horse engine from a 170horse. the added hp requiered a oil cooler and thermostat to live i guess. The block was cast different also and i remember right it was in the oil tubes coming up to the heads was changed. The older blocks had a cast oil tube coming up to the top of the block for the heads and i remember they would crack and oil into the coolant.

glenn akers