VW mulls separate listing of trucks business

kscarbel2

Reuters / January 21, 2015

Volkswagen Group may restructure its trucks business so that it could be spun off from the main group, and establish a separate headquarters for it in Frankfurt, German monthly Manager Magazin said, citing company sources.

Manager Magazin said the trucks holding company would be structured so it could be listed on the stock exchange in the event that parent company Volkswagen wanted to raise cash.

A spokesman for Volkswagen said the company declined to comment on speculation.

Volkswagen has hired former Daimler manager Andreas Renschler to integrate its different trucks businesses which include Swedish truck maker Scania and German MAN SE as well as its own VW-branded commercial vehicle business.

Renschler will start his job on Feb. 1, and wants to have 50 staff in Frankfurt to run the business, Manager Magazin said.

post-16320-0-25852300-1422324147_thumb.j

post-16320-0-55216600-1422324153_thumb.j

post-16320-0-73762300-1422324159_thumb.j

Couple of questions:

1) Will this be the stat of a gradual MAN/Scania merger?

2) Will we see this company attempt to enter the US market?

It's as reported, the truck holding company would be structured so it could be listed if VW Group wanted to raise cash.

VW will bring its next generation Crafter van to the US market to compete with the Ford Transit, M-B Sprinter and Fiat (Ram) Ducato. Beyond that, as much as I'd like to see it happen, I doubt that VW will bring its full commercial portfolio to the US market.

In the long run, given that VW is obviously serious about the heavy truck segment, global aspirations would, in theory, require the company to participate in the US truck market. Having said that, the US truck market of today is far less attractive than years ago, with low annual sales volumes and slim profits.

If the parent chose to enter, then other than cab-overs, what class 8 trucks from the Scania/MAN/VW menu would meet the desires of the US market...???

on a side note, my employer is dropping Srinters due to high cost of replacement parts and engine issues, coming soon is the new full size diesel Ford Transit... we used to be a dedicated GMC Savana customer.. we also moved away from diesel GMC to gas Chevy 24 seat transits.... seems to be flavour of the day driving the merry go around of fleet purchasing ..!!!

BC Mack

If the parent chose to enter, then other than cab-overs, what class 8 trucks from the Scania/MAN/VW menu would meet the desires of the US market...???

on a side note, my employer is dropping Srinters due to high cost of replacement parts and engine issues, coming soon is the new full size diesel Ford Transit... we used to be a dedicated GMC Savana customer.. we also moved away from diesel GMC to gas Chevy 24 seat transits.... seems to be flavour of the day driving the merry go around of fleet purchasing ..!!!

BC Mack

VW Group would create a North American market conventional heavy tractor range, just as Volvo did. I feel the basis for this product would come from Scania rather than MAN. Until very recently, Scania had a long history of producing conventionals (most recently, the T -Series).

There's certainly a market for the cab-over-engine VW Constellation in the U.S., in the medium-duty and medium-heavy segments. COE design still has merits for local and regional applications.

Globally, the M-B Sprinter has a solid reputation. The Ford Transit does as well, but I'm unclear how much they changed it for the US market. Ford US has a habit of taking perfected global market product and changing it......with bad results. Look at the Ford Escape engine fires. The Escape was born in Europe as the Ford Kuga, and has never had engine fire issues outside the US. Hopefully the US market Ford Transit with the Ford UK 3.2-liter diesel will be as reliable as it is in Europe (FYI: Range Rover diesel engines are sourced from Ford). I'd avoid the FIat Ducato (Ram Promaster) though, and the Nissan Titan-based NV Cargo (the lack of a fuel-thrifty diesel option).

Up until now, the Volkswagen Crafter was based on the M-B Sprinter, but has a VW-unique front end and VW powertrain (http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Crafter#mediaviewer/File:VW_Crafter_2.0_TDI_%28Facelift%29_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht,_9._Juli_2012,_Velbert.jpg).

But VW and M-B have decided to terminate that cooperation, so the soon-to-arrive next generation Crafter desitined for the US market will be 100 percent VW designed and built.