K.A.T. Convertible Trailers

41chevy

Paul,

A buddy of mine (who is in a nursing home now),used to lease to K.A.T. back in the late '50's-early '60's. He told me stories of hauling Nash cars to the west and backhauling jet engines for points east. He started out with a snub nosed Dodge with a big V-8 gasser in it. In '60 he ordered a new B-61T with a longer wheelbase than usual,and had an aftermarket sleeper box installed.He said going from that Dodge (no sleeper,2-3mpg at best,powerless and gear bound in the hills)to that 187hp,Triplex trans,sleeper tractor,easily doubling his fuel milage. He thought he had died and gone to heaven! Sadly,he had no pictures as he was divorced several years ago and the wife kept all the pics. I can imagine he pulled one of these very wagons you are showing us here. Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

interesting setup and yet you don't see anything like it these days. Maybe it's easier logistically to deadhead the empty equipment to the next load for the outbound customer.

I know when Schneider was big into glass hauling some of their trailers were flatbeds with racks that could be disassembled as needed and stored in a similar fashion as needed.

Jim

interesting setup and yet you don't see anything like it these days. Maybe it's easier logistically to deadhead the empty equipment to the next load for the outbound customer.

I know when Schneider was big into glass hauling some of their trailers were flatbeds with racks that could be disassembled as needed and stored in a similar fashion as needed.

Actually the Unions killed them off. A driver could not do the "mechanical" conversion to either configuration. Kind of like having needing a member of Electrical Workers Union member to move a box of Romex laying on your length of pipe in N.Y.C.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Actually the Unions killed them off. A driver could not do the "mechanical" conversion to either configuration. Kind of like having needing a member of Electrical Workers Union member to move a box of Romex laying on your length of pipe in N.Y.C.

I lived that life for about 7 years in the late 80's-early 90's. Some situations made sense while others were well beyond absurd.

Jim

In the 1970'S we had 5 trucks hauling cars mostly off the East Coast docks. When in Toledo Ohio we loaded Jeeps for KAT or Dallas +Mavis both were owned by Jupiter Corporation or in Kalamazoo,Michigan Checker Cabs.We would trip lease loads from them back East. When loading alongside the KAT or Dallas and Mavis Trucks loading Westbound for California with the Erector Set Trailers the Drivers said they would load 2 street sweepers back East I think they were Elgin built in California. They were good days back then as cars were set up on a rate that paid to return empty. When loaded both ways was the Bonanza. Joe D.

• Like 1

I believe they went out of business in the 1980's

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE