Miami Dade Orders More Hybrid Autocar Refuse Trucks

kscarbel2

Heavy Duty Trucking / November 224, 2014

Miami-Dade County, Fla., has placed its third order for Autocar E3 hydraulic hybrid refuse trucks that feature Parker Hannifin’s RunWise Advanced Series Hybrid Drive System.

The additional purchase of 29 new hybrid trucks brings the total fleet to 64. The county purchased 29 of these vehicles in 2012 and six in 2011.

Use of the hybrid vehicles vehicles reduces fuel consumption by up to 50%, according to Parker.

The RunWise-equipped refuse trucks capture more than 71% of a vehicle’s otherwise lost braking energy, which can save up to 4,300 gallons of fuel per year, per truck.

Trucks with the RunWise system have logged more than 1 million miles of operation.

“Miami-Dade’s repeat orders prove that this technology works and continues to cut costs and reduce emissions for the county,” said Shane Terblanche, general manager, hybrid drive systems at Parker Hannifin. “We are encouraged by the positive feedback on RunWise’s environmental and operational results from Miami-Dade, which is among more than 30 other municipalities across the U.S. benefiting from our technology.”

The RunWise version of the Autocar refuse trucks operate in Miami-Dade County and several other municipalities around the country, including Orlando, Fla.; Sacramento, Calif.; Tacoma, Wash; and Houston and Austin, Texas.

The Autocar E3 equipped with RunWise technology is also available to waste management companies on a rent-to-own basis.

post-16320-0-57936200-1416882347_thumb.j

post-16320-0-52397000-1417675745_thumb.j

post-16320-0-82686500-1417676241_thumb.j

Any clue as to the premium for the P-H system over a conventional power train? If you use say 3.50 per gallon, that is $15,000 per year savings. As for operating cost, I would imagine you also have lower brake costs with these things. Any clue as to durability of this system?

Is Parker Hannifin last one in the hydraulic hybrid business? I think Ford had done a lot of research on this mode but have not heard of any activity of late. Makes sense to me but I guess the cost/weight penalty of the "accumulator tank" or whatever you call it is a big negative.