water pump weep hole

hatcity

dumb question=2001 E7-427 Is it normal to have dampness at the weep hole location? Or is this an indicator of the pump starting to go?

Are newer engines supposed to have dampness there?

Son (DDA shop) says normal

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I've seen many with what I would call a water stain around the weep hole and slight discoloration or wet look but I would say any sign of a coolant trail leaving the hole that stays glossy I would look for another pump. some can leak when running others when shut down or hot vs. cold.

My Dad always said answering a question with a question wasn't polite but, assembling backwards, what would be the purpose of building a water pump designed to leak unless the leak was an indicator of something? If the weep hole is threaded, maybe it's a lube point with a missing Zerk fitting.

the hole is there to let the coolant out if the seal fails! if the hole is plugged that allows coolant into the area where the roller bearings are and coolant will displace the grease and thus result in a major failure .this is typically what happens when the fan goes into the radiator. most newer engines no longer have the water pump and fan on the same shaft.

• Like 2

The start of wetness at the weep hole is an indicator of the seal and or bearings starting to get excessive wear. Consider it an early warning before failure. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE