B61 with Quad - can't shift into any quad gears

joep

I am looking at buying a 1958 B61 with Quad. The diesel engine won't run and I'm not sure if it is stuck or not. Front end damage kept me from putting a socket on the crank to check. I am going back with a wrench next time. I can shift into all the gears in the main transmission but I can't get into any gears in the quad. All the glass has been busted out for a long time and I don't know if rain could have caused some trouble leaking down the sticks. The rubber boots on the sticks seem to be in fairly good condition but who knows? Could there be damage to the quad - water or whatever? Thanks.

welcome aboard and your linkage is probably stuck very commen problem,,,gotta get underneathe with a bar and tap those big rods that runs thru the top cover,,,and chances are the engine is not stuck just grab the fan,and belts and give them a yank,,,it should turn that way good luck...bob

• Like 1

Same thing happened with my Triplex after the truck sat for five or six years. I (gently) used a pry bar and rubber mallet to free the rods and then shot all moving parts a couple of times with my grease gun. Everything's been fine since. :)

I've never seen so many quick responses in a forum!! Thanks to all who replied. Based on your info I am charging ahead with the purchase. If all goes well I should have it delivered in a few weeks or so.