Wobble Located

I've still got a pretty bad wobble. Think I found it. The right-front drivers were doing the rock & roll hoochie-coo. Pulled the rims off and cleaned everything. Put them back on. Did this about 3 times. Finally got the inside wheel/tire running nice & straight. But, the outer one is wobbling like crazy.

Think I'll try pulling it down Saturday morning & check the spacer band. May swap out that outside wheel/tire. It looks like the tire itself may be out of whack. Could be the wheel, too. The other 3 sets went on nice & straight the first time. This one is being contrary.

Hopefully, I can match up a tire or two from my stash, and get that corner rolling smooth like the others.

It's always something...

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

dont you just tighten the studs on the outside bit of the wobble and loosen inside bit of the wobble leave wheel jacked up sit a can of CRC on the ground almost touching the wall of tyre take the brake off and roll around by hand and keep on loosening and tightening till it runs true or at least thats the way I do it I dont have to muck about cleaning and stuff just bang the dirt and rust off then it should be good to go I guess the only other thing to check is make sure there is no big dents in the spacer

Paul

dont you just tighten the studs on the outside bit of the wobble and loosen inside bit of the wobble leave wheel jacked up sit a can of CRC on the ground almost touching the wall of tyre take the brake off and roll around by hand and keep on loosening and tightening till it runs true or at least thats the way I do it I dont have to muck about cleaning and stuff just bang the dirt and rust off then it should be good to go I guess the only other thing to check is make sure there is no big dents in the spacer

Paul

Yeah. That's how I do it too.

Like I said above, first thing I'm gonna do is check the spacer, cause the inside tire is running straight.

I think this one tire (or the wheel it is on) is the problem. I'm thinking it's the tire. Looked at it again last night, and it almost looks like the cap is not true on the carcass. When the sidewall runs straight, the tread wobbles. May just be a bad recap.

Will know more when I get it apart. Just ran out of daylight (and energy!) last night.

Pulled it off. The band was good.

Replaced the outer, suspect tire with another one. Went together easy. Runout good on both inner & outer.

Drove it. That particular shimmy & shake is gone.

So, that funny-looking tire apparently was the culprit.

Therefore, no, a set of Budds wouldn't have helped in the slightest!

With a set of budds you would have known it was a crooked cap once you saw there was no rust stains coming from the stud holes!!!! :loldude:

where I'm from if you say you have Dayton or webb wheels you only get dumb looks if you say California or shakers they say OH! then walk away and God help you if you need studs, nuts , or clamps. its a 200 mile drive to find parts

yeah I didnt no that dayton webb california or shakers were wheels there called spiders in Australia and were the most common wheel to maybe 15 years ago I still reckon there the go

good to see you got the problem fixed Im surprised you are still using caps they almost as much as a clean skin out here and I cant think of anyone using them at all

Paul

yeah I didnt no that dayton webb california or shakers were wheels there called spiders in Australia and were the most common wheel to maybe 15 years ago I still reckon there the go

good to see you got the problem fixed Im surprised you are still using caps they almost as much as a clean skin out here and I cant think of anyone using them at all

Paul

It's a hobby truck. Gets maybe 1,000 miles a year.

I bought 16 Dayton rims with Bandag recaps on them for $25 each.

I'll be glad to swap it over to Budds, as soon as somebody wants to donate the hubs, drums, & wheels! Until then, y'all will just have to tolerate my Daytons on Mack "spiders"!

• Like 1