SHUTTERSTAT DISASSEMBLY

rustydog

You mean after it gets to 185*, the shutters won't open back up?

When cold, the shutterstat allows air pressure to small cylinder to close shutters. Once it reaches operating temp, it shuts the air off to the cylinder on the shutters and the shutters open under spring pressure.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

You mean after it gets to 185*, the shutters won't open back up?

When cold, the shutterstat allows air pressure to small cylinder to close shutters. Once it reaches operating temp, it shuts the air off to the cylinder on the shutters and the shutters open under spring pressure.

RIGHT LARRY.....WHEN SHE WARMS UP THEY AREN'T OPENING AS SHOULD.......CLEANED AND FILLED AIR CLEANER.WICKS, ETC....TOOK SHUTTERSTAT OUT AND CLEANED...TESTED IT IN HOT WATER..DID NOT SEEM TO PUSH SPRING UP TOO FAR..SO I AM WONDERING IF ITS WORKIN PROPER OR WEAK. CHECKED THERMOSTAT TOO IN PAN OF WATER..SHES OPENIN UP....I READ ALL THE THREADS I COULD FIND FROM THE DAYS OF YOU AND MIKE....BUT NOTHING SPECIFIC ABOUT HOW TO TELL IF THE SSTAT IS BAD

THX

RUSTY

Can you move the shutters when things are disconnected?

I had a set of shutters that worked one day and the next day were seized up. Took a little lube to each pivot point and got things moving again.

Maybe to much resistance for the spring to overcome?

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Can you move the shutters when things are disconnected?

I had a set of shutters that worked one day and the next day were seized up. Took a little lube to each pivot point and got things moving again.

Maybe to much resistance for the spring to overcome?

JIM....THEY HAVE BEEN OPENING AND CLOSING WITH/WITHOUT AIR...... WILL DOUBLE CHECK IT...HOW DO YOU COMPENSATE FOR TOO MUCH RESISTANCE?? THE SPRING IS IN GOOD SHAPE

When all the air is bled, the shutters should spring open. If something is preventing them form working correctly, you can always temporarily block off the air to the system while they are open, and run with them open. Not ideal, but will keep you from cooking something until you can isolate the problem.

Alternately, you can disable the shutters by blocking off the air, and change to a hotter thermostat.

Usually, a shutter-equipped unit will have a 160-165 degree thermostat, which will be open after the truck heats up. Then, the shutters will regulate the water temp at 170-185.

But, if you disable the shutters, and put in a 170-185 degree thermostat, you can accomplish essentially the same thing. But, it might take a bit longer to warm up.

Remember, not all of 'em came with shutters anyway.

Just a different perspective for you...

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

The shutterstat itself is just a temperature controlled air valve. With heat, it should close off the air going to the shutters. The shutters should be spring OPEN by default. If they are not opening, remove the air line going to the air cylinder on the shutters and see if they spring open. Is there air leaking from that line now? Then the shutterstat itself is faulty.

It takes at least 70 or so psi to get mine to close(against the spring pressure) when I first start the truck after sitting a few days(and no air in the system). Not sure how much air pressure it takes to allow them to close. Maybe your shutterstat is not closing all the way and allowing just enough air pressure to hold the shutters closed. Removing the air line will tell the story.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The shutterstat itself is just a temperature controlled air valve. With heat, it should close off the air going to the shutters. The shutters should be spring OPEN by default. If they are not opening, remove the air line going to the air cylinder on the shutters and see if they spring open. Is there air leaking from that line now? Then the shutterstat itself is faulty.

It takes at least 70 or so psi to get mine to close(against the spring pressure) when I first start the truck after sitting a few days(and no air in the system). Not sure how much air pressure it takes to allow them to close. Maybe your shutterstat is not closing all the way and allowing just enough air pressure to hold the shutters closed. Removing the air line will tell the story.

THANKS GUYS....THIS IS MORE CLEAR NOW.......STILL WORKING ON PROBLEM...WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT

• 3 weeks later...

THANKS GUYS....THIS IS MORE CLEAR NOW.......STILL WORKING ON PROBLEM...WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT

PROBLEM SOLVED.....EVIDENTLY THE SHUTTERSTAT WAS DEFECTIVE....INSTALLED NEW ONE FROM PAI, ALONG WITH NEW THERMOSTAT....EVERYTHING WORKING AS IT SHOULD NOW..THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS

• Like 1