Mack R Model Refurb

Around 3 weeks ago i bought a 1967 Mack R611T 6 wheeler tractor with a 673T, Quadbox, 29k lb rear and a wet system. When i was a kid i used to drive by the companies yard on I-95 and see all the trucks lined up. The company had probably 20 trucks, mainly Macks with probably half of them being B models. The opportunity came to purchase this truck and i jumped at it, one of the reasons being their is no rot on the truck and almost no rust.

So far i've changed the fuel filters and steamcleaned the frame and rearend. This weekend i'm going to be putting maxi/spring brakes on the truck.

Here is a photo of the truck as it sits. I'll update this thread with progress photos.

Great find.  Looks like X-roadway colors?

Believe it or not this was company colors, it was a small local company and i guess probably the only one with the color scheme. Its different how they don't follow the lines on the nose where they split the colors, i've never really seen others done like that, which is why i'll probably leave the colors as they are when i get it repainted.

• 4 months later...

Around 3 weeks ago i bought a 1967 Mack R611T 6 wheeler tractor with a 673T, Quadbox, 29k lb rear and a wet system. When i was a kid i used to drive by the companies yard on I-95 and see all the trucks lined up. The company had probably 20 trucks, mainly Macks with probably half of them being B models. The opportunity came to purchase this truck and i jumped at it, one of the reasons being their is no rot on the truck and almost no rust.

So far i've changed the fuel filters and steamcleaned the frame and rearend. This weekend i'm going to be putting maxi/spring brakes on the truck.

Here is a photo of the truck as it sits. I'll update this thread with progress photos.

Looks like you've got something really nice to work with, good luck. AAA trucking? Looks like their colors and specked out like the tractors they had. They used to rebuild their B models over and over at their yard near Trenton NJ.

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

Some information if you please. As I understand it, maxis are the spring loaded pressure off parking brake actuators. What type of parking brakes are on this unit as built?

Thanks

Looks like you've got something really nice to work with, good luck. AAA trucking? Looks like their colors and specked out like the tractors they had. They used to rebuild their B models over and over at their yard near Trenton NJ.

I remember AAA rebuilding trucks back in the day. It seems like nobody does that anymore. Acme Markets used to rebuild their R and U Models by putting a Pedigree engine in, tearing down the trans and rears and at least new bearings and seals, and a new cab. I think at the time the Pedigree cost about $6,500 and the Cab was $7,000 and change. Seemed like a pretty good deal back then. I guess nobody can find mechanics to do that kind of stuff anymore.

Joe

I remember AAA rebuilding trucks back in the day. It seems like nobody does that anymore. Acme Markets used to rebuild their R and U Models by putting a Pedigree engine in, tearing down the trans and rears and at least new bearings and seals, and a new cab. I think at the time the Pedigree cost about $6,500 and the Cab was $7,000 and change. Seemed like a pretty good deal back then. I guess nobody can find mechanics to do that kind of stuff anymore.

Joe

Hi Joe, I can't help but wonder whether it's a lack of mechanics or the economics or whether the new stuff just isn't worth rebuilding. RS Martyn

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!