1995 Mack emergency shutdown problem

I'm getting an emergency shutdown warning light and subsequent engine shutdown. This problem has been intermittent, but now it is continuous and I can't get anywhere. Within seconds of startup the emergency shutdown light comes on and shortly after, the engine stops. It will restart immediately, but the same thing happens again. What should I be looking for? As mentioned in the heading, this is a 1995 Mack CL 700.

Thanks

Ed

Edited by huggabean

Low coolant sensor, oil pressure sensor, coolant level sensor. What code are you getting. You can pull the flash code using the set resume button with the cruise switch off. Count the flashes. There will be a slight pause between the first and second part of the code.

Hi Wheeler73

Where should I be looking to see the code? I tried selecting both the resume/accel and set/ decal buttons with the speed control switch set to off. Should I be trying with the engine running, the switch on, or the switch off? There is an shutdown override switch, but it has never had any noticeable effect on anything.

Thanks

Ed (huggabean)

Key on, motor off, speed control (cruise control) switch off, push and hold the set/resume until the CEL starts to flash. Count the flashes. There will be a pause is the flash sequence, that's the break in the code. Ex: x-X where the "x" 's are the numbers of flashes.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

The oil pressure sensor seems to be the answer, at least for now. After my last post, I inspected connections and checked the location of likely sensors. When I unplugged the sensor on the oil filter housing I got an electronic malfunction light, but the shutdown didn't happen. Borrowed the sensor from another engine and it has been OK since. Hope it continues. This has been an intermittent problem since before I started running this truck, so it will take time to be totally confident in this cure.

Thanks to everyone who jumped in.

Ed

The truck can be running also. The only time it will flash the codes is when the codes are active. The older harness are sometimes sensitive to moisture.

Good to know...

Huggabean: Glad you got it fixed....maybe....for now lol

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

• 4 years later...

I have a 1996 ch600 that ran good brought into shop to change injectors and a few wires in the hood for shorts and now I’m not getting any power to the injector pump and can’t figure it out checked and change all I could think of.Anyone have any help I would appreciate it.

On 3/7/2019 at 8:05 AM, Dlake said:

I have a 1996 ch600 that ran good brought into shop to change injectors and a few wires in the hood for shorts and now I’m not getting any power to the injector pump and can’t figure it out checked and change all I could think of.Anyone have any help I would appreciate it.

Start a new thread. No one's going to see your problem hijacked into someone elses problem. Recheck the work done in the shop. Something probably got kicked standing on the frame to change injectors.

• 2 years later...

hello .. I have a Mack RD 2001 I changed the water pump and the shutdown sensor started to sound, a loud and annoying beep, so I walked until I got to the parking lot, the problem was that when I changed the water pump the mechanic did not  filled the full coolant tank, it was 2 gallons of coolant missing, when putting what was missing ready, the shutdown sensor turned off, that is, the tank should never lack coolant because the sensor turns on, I hope this helps you thanks