B755 Radiator removal

I have a 64 B755 needing a recore on the radiator. Not sure how it comes apart. The top tank looks like might come out with the radiator by removing the allen bolts on each side. Anyone done this before?

Thanks

It is bolted top and bottom. I can go out and count how many bolts but it is like 25 bolts for the top tank and 25-30 nuts and bolts holding the bottom tank. Sorry, not just the 4 bolts that are the easy ones!

After you get it out of the truck, remove the shutters and fan shroud and you will find them.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

The radiator comes out in one big piece. There are two large studs with nuts that secure the bottom of the radiator to the front crossmember. Then the headlight panel fasteners would be taking off. Use PB Blaster on all fasteners to help loosen them up.

If you have or can borrow a small engine hoist, it would be very helpful.

Hood off, take the pins out of the cross rods and hoses off.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I've got to pull my radiator (B-815) and it is a monster. The two studs from the bottom are gone and presumably rotted off. The radiator does not leak at all but the fins area like dust in some places so I'm thinking I should bight the bullet and do it. Be sure the studs are there and get springs and nyloc nuts on them going back. The studs hold the radiator down. Mine jumped off the cross member on 95 in NY (a frigging wonderful stretch of "road") and broke the radiator hose casting...puked all the contents on the highway. Oops. I avoided eye contact with any motorists for a few miles after that. I've got is brazed back into one piece but still have to worry about the re-core and the studs.

One thing about mechanic work. If you start pulling off everything you can for nuts and bolts that hold it together, sooner or later you sill get it apart...Use PB blaster and have the flame wrench handy for some stubborn bolts. Use your head here as you can screw up stuff too but a little heat can prevent breaking the bolts off and forcing a trip to the machine shop.

Good luck